Battery discharged, won't recharge--HELP!

CatLady1
CatLady1 Member Posts: 12 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

I go to my local library to use their computers for email and visiting my favorite sites. If I run out of my allotted time, I go to a table that has outlets and plug in my netbook Acer Aspire One D255E, and do other stuff. Lately, I've noticed that when I plug in at certain outlets, my battery runs down, even though I keep it plugged in with the AC plug.

I checked on this site yesterday, and it said let your battery completely discharge, recharge, repeat a couple more times, and it will give maximum power. I bought my netbook 10 years ago after checking Consumer Reports' Buyers' Guide; it showed the AO D255E had a battery life of 8 hours, so I bought it. But I've never gotten more than 2 1/2 hours of battery life. I can't swear that I did the discharge/charge x3 when I got it--it was a return, the battery was already installed--but yesterday the battery completely discharged, and when I plugged it in to an outlet I know was working--it was powering the library computer I'm using--it wouldn't turn on.

I've told the library staff about this, and they say they'll have Facilities check it out. But I still find outlets that won't keep my netbook charged.

I bought my netbook 7 years ago; I don't think I've gotten to 1,000 charge/discharge cycles yet. Is something else wrong, or do I need a new battery? Thanks!

Best Answer

• CatLady1
    Answer ✓

Aggh, now you tell me! Okay, I'll check out a new battery on Amazon. Thanks.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,462 Trailblazer

Aspire One D255E>>>I bought my netbook 10 years ago>>>I bought my netbook 7 years ago>>>I don't think I've gotten to 1,000 charge/discharge cycles yet. Is something else wrong, or do I need a new battery? Thanks!>>>

A cycle doesn't necessarily mean 100% charge/100% discharge. Whether it's a 7 or 10 year old battery, a new one (less than $10 with free shipping) might be worth trying. Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• CatLady1
    Answer ✓

Aggh, now you tell me! Okay, I'll check out a new battery on Amazon. Thanks.