Aspire v5-122p Bluetooth Non-Functional / Doesn't Work

dwhagar
dwhagar Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

Hi. I have an Aspire v5-122p and I managed to screw up my hard disk's formatting, had to completely repartition and reload. I could not save the Recovery partition and I do not have recovery media. Nor do I have $50 to spend on buying recovery media from Acer. I'm not even going to go into how absolutely absurd that it! At any rate, I have a copy of Windows 8.1 Pro, fully licensed of course, that I had to purchase for other reasons.

So, I used that, reloaded, downloaded the Windows 8.1 drivers from Acer and started new. Everything works fine except for the Bluetooth. I cannot get Bluetooth to work at all. It will not find any device at all (tried a speaker, headset, mouse, my phone, and another computer). They can all pick each other up just fine. I also cannot get anything to find the laptop here. I make sure I've enabled being discoverable in the settings. But still, nothing finds the laptop at all. Not the phone or the other computers. I know Bluetooth did work because at one time I had it paired to my phone to tether Internet from. It was never spectacular, but it worked.

I read online from another source that I should try to update my BIOS and I did, it is now the latest version (v2.12). I have the 8.1 drivers, but the same source also recommended that I start again fresh and don't install the drivers from Acer until I've run out of Windows Updates to install - that is where I am right now. Any help would be appriciated.

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

Once your updates are finished, uninstall all Bluetooth drivers and reinstall it again.IIf  it still doesn't work, try this.

http://www.broadcom.com/support/bluetooth/update.php. I'm guessing your Bluetooth is Broadcom.

• dwhagar

Thank you for your reply.  I have an Atheros, but I will check the Atheros web site for a similar update if fit doesn't work.  Thank you again.

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

Poster claims he got this from a tech manager at Acer. 

1. Go to Acer site to support then downloads

2. After finding you machine click wireless lan driver for Atheros to download

3. It'll take like 30 min on hardwire

4. When done extract all files

5. Find unzipped file and click blue/green setup icon

6. Let er rip. Once downloaded reboot and your driver is updated and no more limited issues.

You can't update thruogh device manager

• dwhagar
    Thank you, after all the updates for Windows installed ran I removed the Bluetooth and Wireless Network drivers. Then, installed the 8.1 drivers from Acer support. Reboot. Worked! Oh, also, should note for anyone else... Do not install the Optional update from Atherose listed in Windows update. That will cause the Bluetooth to not update at all when installing from Acer.