Aspire V5-573G - Very unstable wireless

Akif
Akif Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

Hi, hoping to find some answers to my problem here.

For a while now the wireless connection on my laptop has been very unstable. I had used it for about six months without experiencing problems, but a month or two ago I started getting very frustated with it. 

Let me explain my problem.

The wireless can be turned on just fine and has no trouble finding available networks. No problem here. But when I try to connect to one it rarely works, and the few times were it does connect, the internet is incredibly slow. I would say it works flawlessly and fast about 10% of the time. The rest of the time it's like I just explained; it either won't connect or is too slow. 

I first noticed this when visiting my parents, so back then I just shrugged it off and thought there were some problems with their internet. There wasn't. The rest of my family had no problems with their laptops, and it even worked fine on my phone and tablet. When I went back to my own place again the same thing happened. My roommates had no problems with the internet, but my laptop had the same problems as before.

Other than those two places I have tried testing it at school and with a tethered connection using my phone. I actually don't think I had any problems at my school for the short duration I was there before vacation, which is weird. On the tethered connection I don't have any trouble connecting to the network, but it't still very slow most of the time, even though I'm on 4G. Browsing on my phone is still fast though, so it's obvious that there's something wrong with the laptop.

I don't know what suddenly caused this, since it worked perfectly when I bought it. 

Updating the wireless card drivers didn't work, so I have no idea what to do now. I'm thinking about sending it back to Acer, but want to see if anyone on here has a solution first.

Answers

• DarrenHill
    DarrenHill Member Posts: 37 New User

Are your anti-virus, anti-malware and firewall products installed, up to date and working correctly? And have you used them to ensure that your hard disk is clean of problems?

That would be my first place to look at, as it could be you have an infection which is either messing with the wifi or just using bandwidth without your knowledge.

• silizium
    silizium Member Posts: 239 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

If this was really working before, than maybe the problem is not on the side of the notebook. Did you restart the access point/router?

• Bev_Gelonesi
    Bev_Gelonesi Member Posts: 1 New User

I just bought my laptop - same model as yours.... I have EXACTLY the same problem.

THIS IS BRAND NEW....    I suspect a driver problem for the network adaptor - but there isn't a better driver available from what I can tell.   

I'm shocked - because when I contacted ACER they told me - 5 bars signal means the hardware is working, and therefore it's a software problem and not covered by warranty.  

This is terrible news - I would've thought that drivers are part of the solution you buy, without them, the hardware won't function..  

Crossing my fingers - they did tell me to call their (limited) software support - which operates from 7:00am until 14:00pm Monday through Friday - Support line (Australia) 1800144519....  They have closed my support query.

I'll give it a go tomorrow - hopefully they will be able to assist.

I'm absolutely devastated - my home runs on wireless - I can't trail an ethernet cable 15 metres from my garage.  HOW ON EARTH am I supposed to function?  I bought this laptop for business purposes.

Everytime I run the Trouble shooter - it says it reconfigures the network adaptor. It all goes well for a minute or so, then says it is connected - but does nothing.... until I go to PC settings... etc and run the trouble shooter again.

• Akif
    The warranty covered it in my case, so I don't see why they wouldn't cover yours.
  • dizzygfunk
    dizzygfunk Member Posts: 1 New User

Has this issue been resolved? I have the same laptop and within the past couple of weeks, the wifi has been failing on me.  
    I have reinstalled Windows twice and updated with all the windows updates. Updating the wireless drivers from the driver website.

What I have discovered is that it can connect to 5Ghz networds but not to 2.4Ghz networks.  This is at home or any other wifi networks, so no one can tell me its MY router.

My Driver is updated to 10.0.0.285. The most current one.

It is still under warrenty but I don't want to be waiting forever for it to get back to me. 

• Akif
    Yes, I sent it back to Acer and got it fixed.
  • EMAD9996
    EMAD9996 Member Posts: 17

Tinkerer

I have same problem! !I wona solutions 
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer

EMAD---Do you have the same model and number? And when did you notice this slow wifi problem? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• EMAD9996

Tinkerer

Yes same model!
    When I buy it is work and after few months is slowly I change windows doing all thing n`t. Work ...
  • JackE
    EMAD---What version of Windows was factory installed? Win8 or Win8.1 or Win10? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• EMAD9996

Tinkerer

I do not know but when I bought it was with him win 8 I do not know how to solve it I badly need him
  • JackE
    EMAD---I recommend that you try to re-fresh your machine to a factory Win8.1 state by following this video ***exactly*** using the ALT+F10 coldboot eRecovery method. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvFRTfFGCgY  This method depends on your hard disk drive being in good condition and still having the original hidden ACER recovery partition that came from the factory. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• EMAD9996

Tinkerer

This way he does not work with me maybe not with him recovery 
  • JackE
    EMAD---Open Control Panel. Search "restore points". Which "restore point" dates seem to be available? You may have to click a button to "show more restore points" Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• EMAD9996

Tinkerer

I have win 10 now mybe this way return to win 10 not 8
  • EMAD9996

Tinkerer

Do u have email on facebook please
     !!
  • JackE

Do you see any warnings or problems in Device Manager? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• EMAD9996

Tinkerer

The wifi is worken but cover the wireless is soo poor
  • JackE
    EMAD---Right click on the WIFI. Left click on Properties. Then click on the Driver menu. Do you see any option to ROLLBACK WiFi driver? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• EMAD9996

Tinkerer

NO its work perfect