Aspire TimelineX 3820tg ATI card not detected

a_gautier
a_gautier Member Posts: 4 New User

Hi there,

The ATI card of my TimelineX 3820TG - 5464G75nss (model no. MS2292) is not detected by either Windows 10 or 8.1. I tried in Switchable mode and discreet but no chance. The Device Manager only shows the Intel video adapter and when trying to install ATI driver the installation software tells me I have not compatible adapter. Any idea?

Thanks

(I signed for a 3 years waranty, stop using this laptop after 18 months because of recurent disk issues and ACER 2 weeks repair delay,but I need it back as my primary laptop crashed)

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

It sounds like the Video card is no longer working. Is this your regular gaming laptop?

• a_gautier

Hi Philetus

No it is ny backup laptop. The ATI card was detected yesterday after few reboots, but the system did not restart correctly from standby this morning and again the ATI card is not detected and I am not sure if the Intel one is correctly detected, Windows only display a 1024x780 and the external screen on the HDMI port is also not detected. I know Windows 10 have some issues with legacy Nvidia cards, it certainly not helps to understand amd maybe fix my problem. Do you know about any Acer diagnostic utility?

Thanks

• philetus

It looks like this laptop is unsupported by Acer for Windows 8, 8.1, and 10.

If it is a driver problem, you are pretty much on your own to find drivers that will work.

When I have one like this, I start installinf every driver I can find, from other computer brands as well, until I find one that works or there is none and I reinstall Windows 7 and sell it.

• a_gautier

I wish it was as simple but the issue start before Windows: If I cannot see the pre-boot bios message on the external screen (HDMI connected) Windows will not detect the ATI card and will display in 1024x768. It is more about the initialisation of the hardware at the boot time. When it is working I have not issue with Windows, until the nexr reboot. So it need something to test the hardware

• philetus

All kinds of test tools on this:

http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd

And this is pretty good:http://www.tweaking.com/

Windows Repair v3.6.0

• a_gautier

Hi Philetus

Thanks, hiren CD is an old friend. I think the ATI card is fautly, I will downgrade to Windows 7, it is more compatible with this aging laptop and I may recover the full Intel part of the video adapter. It will be good enough for what I have to do with this things