(Aspire One 1-431) Will not boot

Maximum
Maximum Member Posts: 3 New User
The laptop was getting the error "Missing operating system" but now it is telling me to insert a boot disk. I am not able to enter BIOS configuration. I changed the boot mode from UEFI to Legacy and saved on accident. The only menu I can enter while booting is Boot Manager(boot from HD, boot from USB, etc). Is there any way I can reset back to Legacy mode? I have the idea of downloading something onto a USB and booting from there but have no idea where to start. Any kind of help would be appreciated.

Best Answer

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

it's not about loosing your personal data, it's about reverting BIOS to UEFI, so it can boot and you can re-install windows correctly.

you have two ways to try to enter BIOS:

1) Press and keep tapping F2 as soon as you hit power button

2) locate on the bottom of your laptop a little hole with a battery indicator, this is a battery reset, press for 5 seconds and then try to enter BIOS

3) if still under warranty, give Acer support service a call

I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• Maximum
    Also, I do not mind losing any files or anything from Windows.
  • IronFly
    Answer ✓

it's not about loosing your personal data, it's about reverting BIOS to UEFI, so it can boot and you can re-install windows correctly.

you have two ways to try to enter BIOS:

1) Press and keep tapping F2 as soon as you hit power button

2) locate on the bottom of your laptop a little hole with a battery indicator, this is a battery reset, press for 5 seconds and then try to enter BIOS

3) if still under warranty, give Acer support service a call

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

BTW the "missing operating system" is usually from a missing or corrupted bootloader file called NTLDR. It can usually be repaired without losing any files. This is a good method. It is for Windows 7 but should work with Win10.

Also if you can boot into the repair system directly (hold down alt-f12 while booting on some machines, power/vol up on others) this can be done without a repair disk or USB.

There is also a way to repair NTLDR directly by grabbing one from a similar machine but is more for admin types.

• IronFly

not this case Padgett.

he switched from UEFI to Legacy, so Legacy can't find the MBR and says "no bootable device", if he switches back to UEFI his laptop will boot.

• Maximum

Thank you IronFly. I did not think to repeatedly press the F2 button. Sometimes the most obvious solutions are looked over.

• IronFly

You welcome. Smiley Wink