Aspire 5920, Transceiver

Alex4e
Alex4e Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Where & how do you use your laptop's transceiver function?

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

>>>I have removed the CIR Nuvoton driver from my laptop.>>>

That particular driver is for wireless devices that use older consumer infra-red (CIR) communications technology (eg older printers), not today's wired or wireless ethernet transceiver communications. As you discovered, it has no influence on  wired or wireless ethernet. Your slow wifi ethernet speed relative to wired ethernet could simply be due to either a router wireless setting if you're still running the factory-installed ACER-specific Windows version.  Jack E/NJ   

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE

This usually refers to a wired instead of a wireless network or internet connection. If you'd like to have both wired and  wireless network connections, you just need to buy an ethernet cable from Home Depot or Lowes and connect it between your laptop and router ethernet ports.  Jack E/NJ   

Jack E/NJ

• Alex4e
    Alex4e Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

Thank you for your reply.

I have removed the CIR Nuvoton driver from my laptop.

Have a wire connection to the internet via an ethernet cable & cable modem.

The Nuvoton driver seems to be irrevelant, as I see no issues with my cable speed. However, my wifi speed is 1/7th my cable speed. I don't think the lack of that driver is the cause of slow wifi speed since I can connect to wifi.

My laptop is operating ok with or without the CIR Nuvoton driver!

So, I still can't figure out the particular use of that driver!

• JackE
    Answer ✓

>>>I have removed the CIR Nuvoton driver from my laptop.>>>

That particular driver is for wireless devices that use older consumer infra-red (CIR) communications technology (eg older printers), not today's wired or wireless ethernet transceiver communications. As you discovered, it has no influence on  wired or wireless ethernet. Your slow wifi ethernet speed relative to wired ethernet could simply be due to either a router wireless setting if you're still running the factory-installed ACER-specific Windows version.  Jack E/NJ   

Jack E/NJ