Aspire 5750

Fatmandu
Fatmandu Member Posts: 12 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Any Acer guru's out there?

My Aspire 5750 laptop bought in 2011, when switched on will go to the acer black and white logo for a few seconds, then to a black screen with a flashing curser in the top left of the screen. Nothing after this although the fan will kick in intermittently. 

Please help as as all my family photos and videos are on this laptop and have not been backed up for about a year. 

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer

Try this suggestion first. At or immediately before the ACER logo appears, start tapping the F2 key to enter the BIOS settings menu. Check to make sure your hard drive is recognized and identified in the first BIOS menu screen that comes up. Then press F10 to save and exit the BIOS settings. Does the machine start now? Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• Fatmandu
    Thanks Jack but unfortunately this didn't work. After f10 save and exit, Acer logo appeared for seconds then back to the black screen with flashing curser in the top left corner.
  • JackE

OK. Now try this. At the ACER logo screen, start tapping the F8 key. If you have the option of starting in Windows safe mode, choose it. What happens? Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• Fatmandu
    Nothing happens on tapping f8. Just goes from Acer logo screen to black screen with flashing cursor again after a second. Tried it three times.
  • JackE

OK. Now assuming the original factory-installed Win7 is still running on the machine, do another cold boot. At the ACER logo screen tap the F12 key. What happens now? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Fatmandu

Same again. Tapping f12 from start up, Acer logo comes up then straight to black screen with cursor. 

• JackE

OK. We can try to re-set the machine to a factory-fresh state while saving your image & video files.

Follow this youtube video for doing so except, instead of re-set, choose re-fresh to save your personal files--- 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2xoMEPfiPQ

If the youtube video is down, then follow the video for re-setting Win7 from this site, again choosing re-fresh instead of re-set--- 

https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29934/related/1#_ga=2.168761829.551467491.1493990455-499745466.1493990367 

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• Fatmandu
    1. Sorry JackE. That didn't work either. Just ignored the command and went to black screen with flashing cursor.  Tried this a few times just in case the buttons weren't struck at exactly the same time but to no avail. 
  • JackE

OK. Do another cold boot and start tapping the F2 key immediately after pressing the power button. This should get you into the BIOS menu. Click on the MAIN dropdown menu. Make sure the D2D recovery is enabled as in the image below. Then F10 to save & exit. And be ready to do the ALT+F10 method again. Jack E/NJ

fatmandu.jpg

Jack E/NJ

• Fatmandu
    Thank you for your perseverance with this issue JackE. I'm away with work at the minute so will not be able to try this until Fri. Watch this space.
  • Fatmandu
    Hi JackE. Nearly there but no cigar. I got through to the "restore progress" screen and let it run. "Restoring system" got up to 100% but the "updating system" only got up to 99% and stayed like that for 10 hours. I switched the computer off and on again and it got through to the "set up is starting services" screen. After a minute or so, a message came up saying, "windows could not start the instillation process". I switched on and off again a few times but kept getting the same message. I tried the whole process again from start to finish but got exactly the same result.
  • JackE

>>>After a minute or so, a message came up saying, "windows could not start the instillation process". >>>

When you get this message, see if Task Mgr is running by pressing CTRL-ALT-DEL. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• Fatmandu
    Didn't work JackE. Continuously tapped CTL-ALT-DEL from start up but no task manager pane appeared. Just booted up as before and then to message.
  • JackE

Just to make sure we aren't just tapping these keys in succession. You must first press & hold the CTRL key. Then press & hold the ALT key. Then press & hold the DEL key. Till all 3 keys are being held down with 3 fingers. Please confirm. Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• Fatmandu
    Yes. Tried all methods of CTL-ALT-DEL. Holding, taping etc. It's a feature I have to use regularly at work.
  • JackE

On a cold boot(press & hold power button till machine turns off, then press power button once to turn it back on), is tapping F8 or F12 still ignored? Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• Fatmandu
    Ok. f8 has brought me to Advanced Boot Options.
  • JackE

What are the available boot options? Safe mode? Prompt? With or without networksing? Etc? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Fatmandu
    Safe Mode
    Safe Mode with command prompt

Enable boot logging
    Enable low-resolution video
    Last known good configuration (advanced)
    Directory services restore Mode
    Debugging Mode
    Disable automatic restart on system failure
    Disable driver signature enforcement

Start windows normally
  • JackE

Gee, a lot of nice choices you got there. Did you try any yet? I think I like "Safe Mode with command prompt" the best. What happens when you pick this one? If you can actually get to a C:\something> prompt, there's a reasonably good chance we can get your personal stuff onto a USB stick and worry about booting Windows normally later. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ