Aspire 5750 hdmi no longer dectecting TV

Greaseweekly
Greaseweekly Member Posts: 10 New User

I have an Aspire 5750 laptop running windows 10 which I use to stream netflix iPlayer etc. to my TV.  I recently ran malwarebytes which removed some 'unnecessary video player software' since then the hdmi connection no longer seems to be working.  The cable is good, but it just doesn't seem to recognise that there is a connection.  I have tried on more than one TV but no luck with any.  Is there some software or a driver that i need to reinstall? I'd appreciate any help.

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

I guess that means, since installing Win10, no Win10 updates have been installed that automatically create restore points and you haven't made any restore points yourself.

OK, on the outside chance something might have disturbed your bios settings, do another cold boot. At the Acer logo screen, press F2 to enter the bios menu. Look for an item to restore bios defaults and click on it. F10 to exit and save settings. 2 other questions. How did you install Win10.  What Windows version did it replace? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE

What issues, if any, does Device Mgr reveal? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Greaseweekly
    Thanks for responding Jack. The only issue I can see in device manager is under programming support. I have two options for programmable root enumerator, one says it's working properly. The other says it isn't. 'Because windows can't load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31) Insufficient system resources exist to complete the APIA.
    I don't know if any of that means anything to you. It's all Greek to me.
  • JackE

>>>(Code 31) Insufficient system resources exist to complete the APIA.>>>

OK. Try this first. Go back to Device Mgr. Right click on the problem device. Click on update driver if it exists and let Windows search for it. Report back.

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• Greaseweekly
    It just says the drivers are upto date. I've had a look and both programmable root enumerators have the same details. Do you think disabling the faulty one might help?
  • JackE

No. First try uninstall the faulty device driver altogether. Then exit Device Mgr. It may ask if you want to reboot machine now. Enter "no". Then shut down Windows normally and power down. Then do a cold boot. Check Device Mgr again after Windows has fully completed its boot routine. Report back.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Greaseweekly
    Ok so that's done. The faulty one has gone and the other says its working properly. There are no other problems showing in device mgr. Still not recognise the humidity connection.
  • Greaseweekly
    HDMI bloomin' auto correct.
  • JackE

OK. Disconnect HDMI cable from the laptop. Open Device Mgr again and keep it open. Now reconnect HDMI cable out again and watch what, if anything, happens to Device Mgr. Report back.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Greaseweekly
    Done. Nothing happened at all.
  • JackE

>>>I have an Aspire 5750 laptop running windows 10 which I use to stream netflix iPlayer etc. to my TV.  I recently ran malwarebytes which removed some 'unnecessary video player software' since then the hdmi connection no longer seems to be working.>>>

Let's go back. 3 questions. First, are you 100% sure that you had HDMI out after installing Win10 and before running malwarebytes?  Second, why did you run malwarebytes? Finally, do you know which video player software was removed? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Greaseweekly
    Yes I've had HDMI out. Switching from TV to TV plugging it in and it would just auto detect. I ran malware bytes because I hadn't ran it for a while. I use it and CCleaner to keep things running smoothly. Never know what sites the kids have been on. I wasn't really paying attention. It told me I had something that needed removing so I pressed the button. When I connected to the TV later nothing happened. I tried to roll back but apart from a couple of registry entries which it had quarantined there was nothing to undo.
  • JackE

>>>I tried to roll back >>>

Did you use Win10 control panel to roll back to an earlier restore point? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Greaseweekly
    No I haven't. I didn't think it would help. Shall I give it a go
  • JackE

Yes! Search "restore point" in control panel. You should be presented with some restore points by date. You may have to click on an option to see more restore point dates listed. Try to pick a restore point date that you recall as being immediately before the HDMI issue surfaced. Jack E/NJ   

Jack E/NJ

• Greaseweekly

Unfortunately Jack there don't seem to be any restore points. Windows 10 hasn't been creating any.

• JackE
    Answer ✓

I guess that means, since installing Win10, no Win10 updates have been installed that automatically create restore points and you haven't made any restore points yourself.

OK, on the outside chance something might have disturbed your bios settings, do another cold boot. At the Acer logo screen, press F2 to enter the bios menu. Look for an item to restore bios defaults and click on it. F10 to exit and save settings. 2 other questions. How did you install Win10.  What Windows version did it replace? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Greaseweekly
    Jack you're a genius. Reset the bios and it's up and running again. Thanks for all your help.
  • JackE

Congratulations! Good luck with the streaming! Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ