Aspire 5742-6798 UEFI boot problem

Slimer01
Slimer01 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives

I have an Aspire 5742-6798 that came with Windows 7 installed.  Somebody tried to upgrade to Windows 8.

Now, the laptop doesn't even try to boot from the hard drive. It goes directly to the network boot.

I booted from Windows 8.1 installation media and clicked "Repair Computer". I tried a reset, which failed almost immediately. Refresh did the same.  I went with Advance Options and went to a Command Prompt. bcdedit gives:

"The boot configuration data store could not be opened.

The requested system device cannot be found."

diskpart shows all partitions and volumes normal and healthy.  list volume shows:

Volume 1  C  Acer          NTFS Partition  579 GB  Healthy

Volume 2      RECOVERY NTFS Partition 600 MB Healthy  Hidden

Volume 3      ESP         FAT32 Partition 300 MB Healthy Hidden

Volume 4      Push Button NTFS Partition 15 GB Healthy Hidden

So, I would like to boot from the recovery partition so I can restore the laptop to out-of-box factory defaults.  I'm assuming one of these partitions would do what I want.  Alt-Car-F10 doesn't do anything on boot.  Hard drive is configured GPT.

How can I select a partition to boot from?  I know I did it once, years ago; but, I have no idea how I did that.  Does the fact that the laptop is using UEFI change everything?

Thanks in advance.

cj

Best Answer

• Slimer01
    Answer ✓

Somebody please mark this solved.  

I'm an idiot.

The laptop isn't UEFI.  That's why I couldn't manipulate the GPT hard drive.

Sorry for wasting anybody's time.

Answers

• Slimer01
    Answer ✓

Somebody please mark this solved.  

I'm an *****.

The laptop isn't UEFI.  That's why I couldn't manipulate the GPT hard drive.

Sorry for wasting anybody's time.

• slstrome
    slstrome Member Posts: 2 New User
    i have an older acer aspire 57426798, wdc wd6400bevt-22aort0 with windows 7 and i cannot get further than f2 setup where the screen top indicates 5 areas information, main, security,boot, and exit, the laptop screen doesn't work so i use a samsung tv as a screen, which is a bit inadequate because all sides of the screen are cutoff ,so i cannot really read the complete screen. i am not very computer literate and this computer is secondary but i would like to get into its memory  and use it, does anyone have any suggestions? i have also used a fix me stick which indicated no real problems, thank you!!