Aspire 5535 Overheating

ms79
ms79 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Acer Aspire 5535-5452

SNID: 91112650220

Link to Specs: https://www.acer.com/datasheets/2010/4876/5535/LX.AUA0X.343.html

Hi! My laptop is shutting down when the processor under heavy load. For instance: While attempting to install Windows 10 it will shutdown within a few minutes. Under light use (web surfing) it will stay on longer. The CPU fan is working but it doesn't seem to me to be blowing a whole lot of air out the rear vent & vent and fan have been blown out with compressed air can. I suspect the CPU is failing.

In an effort to try to determine if it's the CPU or harddrive I ran the unit playing a DVD, a few FireFox windows open & playing videos on YouTube. It still shut down after awhile and the bottom was hot but I had the bottom coverplate on & couldn't tell if the heat was coming from the HD or CPU. I've found a few used identical CPUs for around $10 & thinking about replacing it to see if that's the problem.

What's your take on it? If I'm going to replace the CPU I might as well upgrade it to the highest possible. Can anyone tell me what's the fastest CPU compatible?

Thank you, very much for your time, help on this! I'd like to salvage this laptop or I'm going to have to buy a refurbished one due to finances.

Have a great day!

Mike S.

Best Answer

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,077 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Hi,

No problem, most of the time a bad contact between CPU and heatsink could be the reason for higher temps, Arctic Silver 5 is still a very good paste, get the cheaper one as there are not much difference between them, another one to consider is IC Diamond 7 but tend to make marks on the CPU(very minor shortcoming). Whichever paste you choose, use them in a small amount, I prefer dot method.

When you tighten, tighten opposing screws to hand tight.

Answers