Aspire 3000 zl5 not accepting windows key

Mike71
Mike71 Member Posts: 4 New User

We have an old Acer Aspire 3000 laptop and the hard drive failed recently so replaced it but we cannot find the original disks or anything for it so downloaded a copy of the install file for Windows XP Home from the internet and after a bit more reading found out how to make an install disk from it, finally got windows installed but it would not accept the product key that is on a sticker on the back of the laptop.

Managed to get to speak to someone at microsoft on the activation phone number but they were no help at all.

I have also tried the Acer 'ask a question' thing but the box that comes up does not recognise the serial number on the laptop and I can't find a 'snid' number on it.

So wondered if anyone on here might have any ideas.

Answers

• aferraro21
    aferraro21 Member Posts: 37 Die Hard WiFi Icon

I would force the service pack 3 (SP3) update for XP before trying to activate an older version of XP through Microsoft.  Windows update went through some heavy changes from the first version of XP all the way through SP3.  You might have better luck making sure you are actually on SP3 before trying to register and install any updates.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-xp-service-pack-3.aspx

• Mike71

The disk image I downloaded is supposed to be up to date and have sp3 in it and I did notice something confirming that after it was installed, think it might have been when I was trying to activate it.

Have also just been trying acers serial number detection tool but it just comes up with 'failed to initialise' when I run it, I hoped if I found the 'snid' their support system might recognise it and I could get some help from there.

• aferraro21

Unless you can work with Microsoft to find a solution, I don't think there is much else you can do to get the XP product key you have cleared for that machine.  Also to note, make sure you downloaded and installed the right version of XP per your corresponding key.  If you have a Home Edition key, and your trying to use it on a Professional Edition of XP, it won't work.

Just trying to think through any scenarios you haven't mentioned yet.

• Mike71

I don't see much chance of getting anywhere with mirosoft after recent experiences I have had trying to get some help from them.

I noticed the lable on the bottom of the laptop said XP Home so downloaded that one.

We have also have an Acer desktop that we got at the same time, I seem to recall it was some sort of deal, the lable on that also says XP Home but laptop says that key is wrong as well.

I did wonder once why the hard drive on the desktop seemed smaller than advertised and I think it has files hidden on it for reinstalling win XP or something like that, would there be any way of using those?

• aferraro21
    Not unless a recovery disk was made from the partition that ha Windows on it previously.
  • aferraro21
    Not unless a recovery disk was made from the partition that had Windows on it previously.
  • Mike71

Found a solution, was loaned a HP windows XP home restore CD, it installed without asking for a key but I put our key off the laptop lable in and the online activation worked.