Acer Crystal Eye Webcam does not work after upgrade to Windows 8

thedonpoe
thedonpoe Member Posts: 4 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

Dear Acer community, I recently baught an Acer Aspire Timeline U (Aspire M5-481TG) and upgraded it from Windows 7 to Windows 8 using the Acer Upgrade Assistant Tool. Now, my laptop does not recognize my webcam anymore. Neither the Acer Crystal Eye program (which I have also updated), nor Skype nor the Windows 8-default "Camera" will show me a picture. I have a device called "SPCA2082 PC Camera" listed in the device manager, which it claims should work. Thanks in advance for any help Smiley Happy

Answers

• thedonpoe

I have also checked the Acer Website for drivers: http://www.acer.de/ac/de/DE/content/drivers

Non are available for the webcam.

thedonpoe wrote:

Dear Acer community, I recently baught an Acer Aspire Timeline U (Aspire M5-481TG) and upgraded it from Windows 7 to Windows 8 using the Acer Upgrade Assistant Tool. Now, my laptop does not recognize my webcam anymore. Neither the Acer Crystal Eye program (which I have also updated), nor Skype nor the Windows 8-default "Camera" will show me a picture. I have a device called "SPCA2082 PC Camera" listed in the device manager, which it claims should work. Thanks in advance for any help Smiley Happy

• Tobers07
    Tobers07 Member Posts: 1 New User

I've been having the same issue for the past few months I have no idea how to fix it, so you're not alone.

• orlbuckeye
    orlbuckeye Member Posts: 9 New User

I device manager where it shows device did you do a search for the drivers? Try doing the search on the internet.

• thedonpoe

Thank you for the suggestion, orlbuckeye. The device manager does show two drivers: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\ksthunk.sys and C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\usbvideo.sys.

Updating it will result in Microsoft telling me that my device has the latest drivers.

Also, uninstalling the device and "Acer Crystal Eye" has no effect, as the "Acer Crystal Eye" software will not install without the webcam and its drivers installed, and reinstalling the device will use the same drivers.

The software also shows the Webcam as a device, but the display remains black.

Also, the folks at Acer (Brindhavan M) have provided me with the following solution. Let me quote it, it might be of help for some people with the same issue out there:

"Regarding the issue, we request you to reinstall the drivers in the unit which might fix the issue.

1. Press the Windows key to open the Start screen.

2. Type Recovery in the search box.

3. Click Acer Recovery Management in the search results.

NOTE If asked to allow the program to make changes, click Yes.

4. Click Reinstall Drivers or Applications.

5. On the Contents tab, locate the driver or application you wish to install and click the Install icon.

NOTE Additional Windows Features may be required for some program installations. Be sure you download and install these Features.

6. Follow the prompts to install the driver or application."

• thedonpoe

Dear Tobers07, are you also using Windows 8? I have heard of people with the same problem on other operating systems.

• lala
    lala Member Posts: 2 New User

I can't find Acer Recovery Management on my laptop. What should I do? After I reinstall my OS, i lost any acer empowering tech menu

thx

thedonpoe wrote:

Thank you for the suggestion, orlbuckeye. The device manager does show two drivers: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\ksthunk.sys and C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\usbvideo.sys.

Updating it will result in Microsoft telling me that my device has the latest drivers.

Also, uninstalling the device and "Acer Crystal Eye" has no effect, as the "Acer Crystal Eye" software will not install without the webcam and its drivers installed, and reinstalling the device will use the same drivers.

The software also shows the Webcam as a device, but the display remains black.

Also, the folks at Acer (Brindhavan M) have provided me with the following solution. Let me quote it, it might be of help for some people with the same issue out there:

"Regarding the issue, we request you to reinstall the drivers in the unit which might fix the issue.

1. Press the Windows key to open the Start screen.

2. Type Recovery in the search box.

3. Click Acer Recovery Management in the search results.

NOTE If asked to allow the program to make changes, click Yes.

4. Click Reinstall Drivers or Applications.

5. On the Contents tab, locate the driver or application you wish to install and click the Install icon.

NOTE Additional Windows Features may be required for some program installations. Be sure you download and install these Features.

6. Follow the prompts to install the driver or application."

• ethanr
    ethanr Member Posts: 2 New User

thedonpoe,

I am having the same issues with my webcam, only mine is a sporadic thing.  Just tonight, it was not working, then it started working for a couple hours, and now it's back to not working, no matter what I do.

I just bought my TimelineU in August.  I am still running Windows 7, instead of 8, but everything you described is the same as the problems I'm having.  The device manager shows that SPCA2082 PC Camera has fully up to date drivers and that "this device is working properly", but I still cannot get anything beyond a blank black screen in Crystal Eye, Skype, etc.

I also tried following the instructions you listed in above, using the Acer eRecovery program to reinstall the driver, but that did nothing as well.

I have contacted Acer's chat support on two seperate occassions, and both times they have resorted to telling me to run a System Restore, but I refuse to believe that that should be necessary every time this webcam goes MIA.

I hope someone at Acer takes note of this problem soon, it's really putting a major damper on a laptop that I otherwise love.

• ethanr
    ethanr Member Posts: 2 New User

lala,

I know the instructions say to type "Recovery" in the search box, but you might have better luck entering "eRecovery" since that's what the program is actually labeled as.

• balavishnu
    balavishnu Member Posts: 1 New User

even i have the same problem, it was working yesterday in skype and today it's not working...any one pls help winn8 users

• dga232
    dga232 Member Posts: 2 New User

I am also having the same problem, I have an aspire 5560, and upgraded to windows 8 today, and then realized I lost all the acre stuff that was on here, looking through a few things I found out about the windows.old file with all the old stuff in it, and read that all I had to do was copy and paste the folders into a windows 8 folder to recover them, but did not seem to work, perhaps the drivers were not included in the folder, could really use some help with this, Webcam is the only thing I have found that dosen't work, but IM sure without all my acre drivers and what not something else will go wrong in the future Smiley Indifferent

• dga232
    dga232 Member Posts: 2 New User

may have found a solution, found the erecovery management folder in the windows.old folder, copied nad pasted to a windows 8 folder, and now trying to run the recovery, will update later to let you all know if it worked #fingerscrossed

• Buscop
    Buscop Member Posts: 3 New User

I also just upgraded to Windows 8 on my Aspire 7736Z and no web cam. So Acer should really get this issue sorted out or its time to buy a different Laptop

• realpap
    realpap Member Posts: 1 New User

i just "solved" it

after reading everything i could on internet

some hp laptops use a similar webcam

when it fails the name changes from hd webcam to SPCA2082 PC Camera

the same happened to me with my acer m5-481t

the thing is,

mine stopped working 

then today suddenly started working again

and NOTHING changed software wise

then i readed about some hp with the webcam bad wired

so i uninstalled the webcam from the device manager

then turned off the pc

then i shaked it a lot, opening and closing the screen

turned on again

went to acer crystal eye

and the program went crazy, detecting and losing the webcam

then went to msn messenger webcam configuration menu

and also, the webcam was being detected and lose

so i started shaking the laptop...

guess what, it started to stabilize till endend up working

clearly theres something wrong with the hardware, some connection or something like than

hope it helped, im gonna return mine (or at least try to)

• roybenson
    roybenson Member Posts: 6 New User

same here.. still not working i also did acer recovery re-intallation of os.. before/after driver upgrade my  SPCA2082 PC Camera still not working.. im using win7premium x64... m5-481tg

• roybenson
    roybenson Member Posts: 6 New User

i fixed it.. i accidentaly broke my led screen. so what i deed is to remove the camera and the connection and then put it back.. the camera works fine now.. the solution went expensive for -_-.. but for you guys lucky need not to broke your led screen

• shadowfreak
    shadowfreak Member Posts: 1 New User

I have been having similar problem. on mine when i click on the acer crystal eye webcam it says camera not found! obviously there is a camera cause its built into the laptop. anyone know  a solution to this.

• 7DruMCs9
    7DruMCs9 Member Posts: 6 New User

Hello,

Please Not to worry in order to fix the issue as you have upgraded the computer to the windows 8 the operating system files and drivers has been changed ... You Just need to do is download the drivers from the website www.support.acer.com select your product and download the drivers... Issue would be fixed.

• coxes
    coxes Member Posts: 1 New User

Saying "Go to website, doanload software, fixed" is not helpful. 

Everyone across all the forums I have looked at has the same problem. 

For my 5620Z, THERE IS NO CAMERA DRIVER LISTED AT ACER.  If you can find another driver for another laptop, you can download the driver, but then the Setup.exe won't run, because it still reports CAMERA NOT FOUND, PLUG IN THE CAMERA.

Come on ACER, this problem is all over the net,  get it sorted!

• AJSmith1985UK
    AJSmith1985UK Member Posts: 6 New User

I have the same issue but id like to thank you for your advice off members on this thread as mine is working now too