Acer Aspire One D255 - Memory Upgrade - Was told I could upgrade 2GB. Will a DDR3 4GB work?

radar1
radar1 Member Posts: 2 New User

Went to the store to pick up a 2GB and they were all out, but the sales guy handed me a DDR3 4GB.  The Geeks were all busy, and I didn't have time to wait so I brought it home and decided to research.  I'm finding nothing about a 4GB for this model.  Does anyone know if it will make a difference.  They are apparently the same dimension. I now have windows 10 on mine and need more memory. 

Best Answer

Answers

• radar1
    radar1 Member Posts: 2 New User

Thank you.  That is exactly what I have been looking for.  Let you know how it works out.

• Tellyman
    Tellyman Member Posts: 1 New User

The above advice regarding DDR3 may be correct for some models but not all.

I've been looking for this information as well. Mine has the N570 1.66GHz processor and came with 1GB DDR3, which I swapped for a 2GB DDR3 module. It must be single-channel AFAIK otherwise it won't get past the POST (no boot) but my hardware info does state that it can support 4GB. Which CPU does yours have?

In any case, the worst that can happen is that it won't boot with the RAM module; as long as it's mechanically and electrically compatible (same voltage) it is unlikely to cause any damage.

I'll start a new topic as mine is unlikely to be identical. Actually the sticker states N550 @ 1.5GHz.