Acer Aspire E3-112 running Windows 8.1 - Keyboard not working

Eichall
Eichall Member Posts: 31 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

The keyboard on my Acer Aspire E11 - E3-112-C455 has stopped working. The mouse pad is working fine and I can run it on an external USB keyboard. The rest of the functions are fine too.
But any ideas what I can do to make the keyboard function again? I don't recall doing anything that might have locked it up.

Best Answer

• Eichall
    Answer ✓

It's up and running again now.

I appreciate your help very much

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,470 Trailblazer

Turn the machine off by pressing and holding the power button for about 5secs. Press the power button once to turn the machine back on, then immediately start tapping the F2 key to try to enter the BIOS setup menu. Does the BIOS menu appear? If it does, press F10 to exit and save settings. If it didn't appear, did you hear any beep codes when you first turned the machine back on? Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• Eichall

Tried that - and to my surprise the F2 and the F10 key worked. 
    But it didn't solve the problem of the keyboard once the machine was up and running.
    But thanks for the input anyway.

• JackE

OK. The keyboard hardware & connectors seem to be OK with the F2 and F10 BIOS test. And I assume you didn't hear any BIOS beep error codes while booting up. If you can, open Device Manager. Does it show any device driver issues? Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• Eichall

"This device is working properly"

and

"this driver is up-to-date".

• JackE

Only one keyboard device? There usually are two. Maybe more with an external keyboard connected. Jack E/Nj

Jack E/NJ

• Eichall

Well, two in total but when I disconnect that which is connected to the USB port, there's just the one - the standard PS2 keyboard.

Taking the hint, I used the "search for other devices" facility but while it came up with a phone and something else; there was certainly no other keyboard to be found.

• JackE

OK. Uninstall the PS2 keyboard driver from Device Mgr. Use your external keyboard if needed. Exit Device Mgr.  Then do a complete power off cold boot. Let Windows re-detect the keyboard and re-install the keyboard driver. Report back with results, Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• Eichall

Yes, tried all that but no further forward :-(

• JackE

The keyboard ribbon cable connector to the mainboard probably has either partly dislodged or needs to be re-seated to clean its contacts. Partial disassembly will be required. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Eichall
    Answer ✓

It's up and running again now.

I appreciate your help very much

• JackE

Good for you. How did you fix it? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ