Acer Aspire 5749 - Intel Centrino Wireless N-100 - bad WIFI range

jochenhebbrecht
jochenhebbrecht Member Posts: 4 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

I'm having the the Aspire 5749 for many years and WIFI went always smoothly. However, I see some degradation in the coverage/range of my WIFI.

After the years, I've noticed I only reach 1,5 Mbps when being 5m from my router. When I'm just next to the router, I can get 35 Mbps download. During those years, an upgrade to Windows 10 has been performed so I first thought it could be a driver issue. But then I booted an Ubuntu 17.04 Live CD, and I'm experiencing the same issue -> only 1,5 Mbps download speed. So it's definitely not a driver issue. When I do the same test with another laptop/my smartphone, I do get fast download speed - so it's also not a problem related to the router.

Can a WIFI card get 'damaged' after years being used? I've never heard this story, but it's like I'm facing it right now ...

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer

The WIFI module's SMA antenna connector probably needs to be re-seated a half-dozen or so times to clean its contacts. The module itself seems OK. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• jochenhebbrecht

Thanks for your very fast answer! I tried reconnecting the WIFI antenna and I also cleaned the contacts ... but ... no luck ... Speed is still not getting higher (not in Windows, not in Linux, ...)

IMG_2477.JPG

• JackE

Does that mean you also re-seated the module a few times that's held by the black screw you're finger is pointing at? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• jochenhebbrecht

Yes, also tried that :-)

IMG_2478.JPG

• JackE

Knowing how cheap & frail the SMA antenna wires/connectors are, I'm gonna guess those are the problems not the module itself. However, if it were mine I'd probably take the module out altogether and go for a USB adapter which is probably faster & more reliable nowadays anyway. Jack E/NJ      

Jack E/NJ

• jochenhebbrecht

Ok, will try that :-)! Thanks!