Acer Aspire 1640Z. D disc virtually empty !!

928CP
928CP Member Posts: 4 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

This laptop runs Windows XP and is still running normally, but 2 days ago I discovered that the D disc is now virtually empty.  Since then when pressing F2, F12, or Alt + F10, nothing happens, and the laptop starts in Windows, and I can use it normally.

Presumably I have done something to 'empty' the D disc.  I can no longer access ' erecovery management'.

However, Acer Arcade and the other Acer programmes seem to work correctly.

What is the next step for me, or should I forget about e recovery management ?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer

What do you mean by D disc? Do you mean a DVD drive with a DVD disk in it? Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• 928CP

JackE, No, the D disk is the local disk, as opposed to the C disk.

• JackE

Have you checked the recycle bin yet? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• 928CP

JackE, Cecked the recycle bin but it is not there. I was considering doing a factory restore, but only after loading photos, files, docs. etc. to a USB stick.

But because the D local disk is empty I am thinking that the factory restore may not be available.

• JackE

Since all seems to be OK on the C: drive, I wouldn't try to re-set to factory default at this point. Don't try to fix what doesn't seem to be busted....yet. 8^)  I think the only purpose of the recovery app on the D: drive was as a fancy user interface to, among other things you probably will never use, access a hidden recovery partition on the hard drive. If that hidden partition is still intact, we should be able to also access it with a special ACER cold boot hotkey method. I would, however, recommend that you do indeed copy all your personal data to a stick whether or not you decide to try to re-set. Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• 928CP

JackE, Thanks for that and the good old advice, " if it isn't broken, then don't fix it."  I crashed this same laptop about 2 years ago, wiping everything, but after searching in here, and other places, I managed a factory restore.  It was a long and arduous task, not being a techie !!

At the moment I will leave things as they are.

• JackE

>>>I will leave things as they are.>>>

Good choice! 8^) Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ