ASPIRE 5517

anilda
anilda Member Posts: 12 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives
My ASPIRE 5517 doesn't boot up .
When I switch it on it turns on for 2 sec and switches off the fan & stops & does nothing though the power indicator remains on. No display or even hard disk indicator is on.
I tried removing the battery and switching it on again, removing and refitting RAM, removing and refitting hard disk but didn't work. I checked the hard disk by connecting it to Desktop on Data port and it is ok , shows my data.
I read about the same problem faced by some others but couldn't get any solutions.
Can anyone suggest me anything?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer

>>>When I switch it on it turns on for 2 sec and switches off the fan & stops & does nothing though the power indicator remains on.>>>

Press & hold the power button till all the LEDs turn off --- about 5 seconds. Remove the battery & charger. Then press & hold the power button again for about a minute. Refit the battery and charger. Immediately after pressing the power button once to turn the machine back on, do you hear any BIOS long-beep and/or short-beep error codes? Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• anilda
    Jack,
    I did what you asked me to do and when I switched on I couldn't hear any bios beep at all.

I did it thrice, 1/1.5/2 mins and every time after switching on I didn't hear any beeps , short or long. Not even weak sound, the symptoms remain same.

Awaiting further suggestions.

Anilda
  • JackE

>>>When I switch it on it turns on for 2 sec and switches off the fan & stops & does nothing though the power indicator remains on.>>>

If you hear no BIOS beep error codes --- AND --- the symptoms are still as you described above with the power LED still on --- I suspect the BIOS has failed due to the very short 2-sec time it takes to stop after it's switched on. If it were a longer time (~30secs or more), then I'd suspect the video ribbon cable or its connectors between the screen and the mainboard have a problem or a disabled.  

3 ways we can quickly test the ribbon/connectors. (1) The easiest is to simply try to toggle the lid screen on with the Fn+F6 toggle key combination. (2) We can also try to VGA out to an external TV or monitor and using Fn+F5 toggle key combination to switch between screens. (3) If a login username & password must normally be entered in order to access Windows, this may be why it stops with only the power LED on since it's waiting for a username and/or password to be entered from the keyboard. You might try to enter these to see if you then hear a Windows welcoming tone or melody indicating the machine has booted even though you can't see the screen.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• anilda
    Hi Jake,

I don't have cable to connect to another Monitor or tv. I will try it.

However, I tried putting password while indicator is still on . But it doesn't do anything. I waited for long time, no change in the status, everything idle and the main indicator still shows on and no hard disk indicator on.

I tried this 3/4 times, then I tried same procedure again by removing the battery. No change.

Do you want me to take it repair shop?
  • JackE

I think the power button board connector (part# 55.N2802.001) needs to be re-seated to the mainboard to clean its contacts or replaced. The power board itself is relatively inexpensive ($10 USD) but access is difficult as the keyboard and top cover need to be removed.  If you google "5517" "disassembly" with the quotes you will see videos on the issues involved in doing so. Unless you are willing to tackle this yourself, I fear the labor costs at a repair shop might be better spent on a new system and transferring your personal data from the old HDD. Jack E/NJ      

Jack E/NJ

• anilda

Hi JackE 

I saw the Video on YouTube.

It was not possible for me to do that.

So Yesterday I took it to a Authorised Acer Service Shop (LAPTOP STORE, Pimpale-Nilakh, INDIA) as suggested by Acer official site.

After checking my Laptop I had given two options :

First , my display IC chip needs to be changed and it will cost me Indian Rupees 1,500 (This may work for one or more months and no warranty or no guarantee, the same fault may occure again. If the same fault occours again then I will have to spend again for the same.If it happens again no repairs are possible).

Second, I need to change my complete Morther Board and it will cost me Indian Rupees 9,500

I opted first option, taking risks, and got it repaired. After completion and paying Rs 1,500 I asked him to show me the replaced IC chip and I was told that the chip is not replaced but usually it is resoldered. This is how it operates here in Acer Authorised shop. I had these doubts so I had sent email to ************** & ************** and no one replied me hence I approached this acer community. If you want I can forward this mail to you. I am not happy but yes my Laptop is in action again. Authorised Service Centres are non but the normal guys with franchise label.

Any way thanks for your help and prompt replies.I appreciate that. 

Regards,

anil

[edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, email addresses, phone numbers, full serial numbers, etc.]

• JackE

>>>After completion and paying Rs 1,500>>>I am not happy but yes my Laptop is in action again.>>>

Hi Anilda---I'm glad to hear it's working again. But not sure about how reasonable the cost was. There is also quite a bit of labor involved in accessing and re-soldering that chip. Jack E/NJ    

Jack E/NJ

• anilda
    Hi JakeE,
    I thank you for valuable guidance and timely response.
    I am facing some other issues related to software, shall I continue the same conversation or do I need to open a new topic & start new conversation?

Thank you,

Anil
  • JackE

We can continue here since it relates to the 5517 subject matter. What are its software issues? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• anilda
    Hi JakeE,
    My Laptop has again stopped functioning.
    Now the screen turns on & does not boot, just gives me long bips continuously . Tried several times turning it on and off .

Anil
  • JackE

OK. Shut down the machine by pressing and holding the power button for about 5 seconds. Then press the power button once to turn it on again.

At the ACER logo screen, tap F2 to enter the BIOS menu. In the first INFO dropdown screen that appears, check to make sure the HDD model and serial number are present. Then navigate to the MAIN dropdown screen and enable both the F12 boot menu & D2D recovery options if they're disabled. Then press F10 to save and exit.

If the machine still doesn't boot after leaving the BIOS menu. Shut down the machine again by pressing and holding the power button. The turn it on again by pressing the power button once.

At the ACER logo screen press F8. You should come up with several options. Chose Safe Mode. Does the machine boot into Windows Safe Mode?

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• anilda
    Hi JakeE,
    First, the Acer screen disappears so fast that I didn't get time to press F2. Then the long beeps started. Then the following screens
    "Preparing Automatic repairs", then
    "Diagnosing your PC", then
    "Your PC didn't start correctly & Press Restart or Advanced Options ".
    I selected Restart.
    Then again continuous beeps. Then nothing. Switched off &on three times now only beeps and nothing.
    On forth attempt I let the beeps continues & and after 5 minutes beeps stoped, booting was complete. After password screen it refused to do anything. Couldn't open any folder or file.
    I restarted , again same thing so I waited and it started acknowledging the mouse clicks but slowly.
    I repeated the procedure 3 times.
    On 4th attempt it booted fast started working.
    What's wrong?

Will update tomorrow again.

Anil
  • JackE

Let's try this again a bit differently. The machine must be completely powered off again by pressing and holding the power button. Then ***even before you press the power button again to turn it back on*** start tapping the F2 key. Continue tapping the F2 key until the BIOS menu appears.

In the first INFO dropdown screen that appears, check to make sure the HDD model and serial number are present. Then navigate to the MAIN dropdown screen and enable both the F12 boot menu & D2D recovery options if they're disabled. Then press F10 to save and exit. If the machine still doesn't boot after leaving the BIOS menu. Shut down the machine again by pressing and holding the power button. The turn it on again by pressing the power button once and immediately start tapping the F8 key even before the ACER logo screen appears. Continue tapping F8 until a screen comes up with several options. Chose Safe Mode. Does the machine boot into Windows Safe Mode?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• anilda
    Dear Jack E,

Today at first attempt my laptop started smoothly without any interruptions.
    Now do I need to go through the bios setup procedure ?

Before it all started I had a notification that my window defender is off and suggestions to switch it on. I did opted "start ". Then it said that I already have one Antivirus (Avast Free Vertion) installed and asked me to either delete it or allow the defender to have regular checkups. I accepted 2nd option.
    Now you please tell me if Windows Defender is just sufficient and shall I remove Avast Antivirus.

Thanks.

Anil
  • JackE

Please remove Avast as it can complicate troubleshooting. You should still try to get into the BIOS menu to make sure the BIOS chip is functioning properly ***AND***  F12 boot & D2D recovery options are enabled in the MAIN dropdown section of the menu. Then press F10 to save and exit. Remember entering the BIOS menu must be done from a cold boot. Start tapping the F2 key as soon as, or even before, you press the power button to turn the machine back on. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• anilda
    Hi Jack,

Sorry for the delay.

Ok as advised by you I removed the Avast Antivirus . Then turned to Windows Defender . It was on, then I updated it and scanned my laptop. Then I shut down the Laptop and restarted. Everything fine. Checked the Windows Defender again. Now it showing " Your PC is protected and up-to-date.

Then I switched it off by keeping pressed the power button.

Then as guided by you I entered into BIOS setup. Found F12 was disabled, I enabled it. Then found D2D was already enabled. So I saved it. Then the Machine booted automatically.

Since it booted automatically, I tried shutting it off and on 3 times and it works fine so I didn't do the F8 procedure.

It is working fine.
    Now two things ...
    Do I still need to go to Safe mode with F8?
    Is my laptop safe without any antivirus with just Windows Defender ?

One more change has happened after my machine was repaired by self repaired mode as ...

My battery indicator used to show full charge (bright blue), however, without charger it used to last only 2 to 4 minutes.
    After self repairs it never charged and kept on Orange Light blinking when the charger is still connected. This happened for first 5/6 days (my charger is always ON even when my machine is shutdown. 24x7 charger ON) but all of a sudden since yesterday the indicator is glowing Blue again. Though I haven't checked yet if the battery is giving me more working time without charger. I will do that, but why it took 5days to charge? Has it something to do with settings?
  • JackE

>>>It is working fine.>>>Do I still need to go to Safe mode with F8?>>>

NO!

>>>Is my laptop safe without any antivirus with just Windows Defender ?>>>

YES.

>>>My battery indicator used to show full charge (bright blue), however, without charger it used to last only 2 to 4 minutes.>>>Though I haven't checked yet if the battery is giving me more working time without charger. I will do that, but why it took 5days to charge? Has it something to do with settings? >>>

THE SELF-REPAIR MAY HAVE PROPERLY RE-CALIBRATED THE BATTERY CHARGE STATE. CHECK IF THE BATTERY'S WORKING TIME HAS IMPROVED. IT'S NOT PARTICULARLY GOOD FOR THE BATTERY TO ***ALWAYS*** KEEP IT AT OR NEAR FULL CHARGE. IT SHOULD BE USED REGULARLY WITHOUT THE CHARGER PLUGGED IN.

Jack E/NJ    

Jack E/NJ

• anilda
    Yes I checked, the battery power lasted just five minutes .

Do I still need to go to Safe mode with F8?
    Is my laptop safe without any antivirus with just Windows Defender ?
  • JackE

While the battery might improve capacity by continuing charge/discharge cycles, I don't think it'll be by much since it wasn't cycled this way for years if the charger was always plugged in. You might want to consider a new battery if you don't see much improvement with further charge/discharge cycling.

At this time, you neither need to F8 to safe mode nor use an anti-virus with Windows Defender enabled.

Jack E/NJ

• anilda
    Hi JackE,

Thanks, I will think of replacing battery.
    Indeed it was a great support from you , I really appreciate your valuable guidance and patience. I really needed some one to discuss with and this was the right place.

Thanks again .

Regards,

Anilda