AO756 is dead, please help, smart and clueless

howcharming
howcharming Member Posts: 14 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

The hard drive failed. Two weeks ago when I got the first error message  I made a thumbdrive backup. Then all would be fine, I kept backing up to my seagate external drive that connects to web etc. Every time I'd get the failing messages I'd try to save image backup to the seagate drive but kept thinking that the seagate drive was the problem and would restart and be fine. So, all is not fine.

I tried to buy new drive at best buy but those geeks sold me a drive that wasn't thin enough, my friend who knows abt installing hard drives screwed it in and said I could tape up the back. (um, no!) Before I took it back I tried plugging in the thumb drive to see what would happen and it still said no bootable device. Same exact error message. Now I'm trying to decide what to buy on amazon and there's so many options and I'm kind of freaking out. I can buy and screw something into place but then what? I'd be better at installing windows on a dollhouse Smiley Sad

I don't even know if I have a recovery disc or any other disc that came with it. Am I supposed to download something and burn a disc on a working computer?

Answers

• Hell howcharming,

In which country do you live?

For Aspire One 756, the HDD part numbers are: 

Spoiler
    KH.32001.021HDD.7mm.320GB.5K4.SATA.4K.LF
    KH.32001.024HDD.7mm.320GB.5K4.SATA.4K.LF
    KH.32001.026HDD.7mm.320GB.5K4.SATA.4K.LF
    KH.32007.016HDD.9.5mm.320GB.5K4.S-ATA.4K.LF
    KH.32007.017HDD.7mm.320GB.5K4.SATA.LF
    KH.32007.019HDD.7mm.320GB.5K4.SATA.LF
    KH.32008.031HDD.7mm.320GB.5K4.SATA.LF
    KH.50001.030HDD.7mm.500GB.5K4.SATA.8MB
    KH.50007.023HDD.7mm.500GB.5K4.SATA.8MB
    KH.50007.025HDD.7mm.500GB.5K4.SATA2.8MB
    KH.50008.040HDD.7mm.500GB.5K4.SATA.8MB

1- To derterminate the correct HDD, I need the first ten letter/number of S/N (example LXRJ202006):

Laptop label

2- To recorver your system, you can order the eRecovery media from your Acer store.

Recovery Media

France
  • howcharming

2*****
    Thx

[edited for privacy - removed SNID]

• howcharming
    Oops, I'm in USA (New Jersey)
    It's not even 2 yrs old, bought on amazon
    The perfect $75 drive I tried to order takes 17-28 days for delivery
  • Wait before order it!

The part number is not correct. You must have letters and numbers like in the example.

France
  • howcharming
    I didn't order it, can't wait that long!
  • I found your model: NU.SGYAA.005 - Aspire One 756-4854

The HDD model are:

KH.50001.030 - HDD 500GB 5400RPM SATA 3 16MB 2.5 7MM 4K (Seagate) 

KH.50007.023 - HDD 500GB 5400RPM SATA 2 8MB 2.5 7MM 4K (HGST)

KH.50008.040 - HDD 500GB 5400RPM SATA 2 8MB 2.5 7MM 4K (Western Digital)

France
  • I advise you this one:

KH.50001.030 - HDD 500GB 5400RPM SATA 2 16MB 2.5 7MM 4K (Seagate)

France
  • howcharming
    Thank you sooo much Smiley Happy I'm sure I'll have more questions once I get it in!

While we're at it, I know there's a slot open for more memory... Any suggestions?
  • Hello,

Normally, your laptop works under Windows 7-64. You have 4Gb memory (1333 or 1600MHz).

In this case, you can upgrade up to 8 Gb maxi:

- Supports memory size per socket: 1Gb/2Gb/4Gb

Could you indicate me the exact part number of the memory stick?

France
  • howcharming
    Ok, gotta deal w memory later...
    Got new drive plugged and screwed in. The thumbnail drive is not booting. I'm so screwed. You said "normally" 64 bit windows 7, I'm on windows site to download windows and can't figure out if I'm 32 or 64. This is gonna be a loooong day.

Now do you see why I said smart and clueless?!
  • howcharming
    Found it. 64
  • howcharming
    So I download windows 7, 64 bit and burn a disc? Will it be a bootable disc? Do I need to do it on pc? (I borrowed moms Mac). Did this laptop come w a recovery disc? I moved and have no idea where it would be.

Should I start a new post or is it ok to keep asking more questions here?

I can't believe the thumb drive didn't work. I'm really starting to panic.
  • howcharming
    I found the answer, seems I have to buy acer recovery discs since my thumb drive failed. Now I have to pay for something I already "own" and wait for the discs to come. Wish I knew that two days ago Smiley Sad
  • Hello,

1- When you say "download Windows 7-64, it's ISO file and it isn't directly bootable. You must use a software to

burn a disk.

2- It was up to you to make the recovery disks with Acer backup manager.

3- In first, check if you see the new HDD in the bios setup utiliy in the information tab: Press [F2] when you start

it.

In the main tab, change "F12 Boot Menu: disable" in enable. Press [F10] to save and exit.

4- The eRecovery media is not expensive...

France
  • howcharming
    I tried to make a back-up recovery disc on a thumb drive and it's not working. I ordered the eRecovery, it's annoying to pay $20 but not a big deal. I'm upset about it because I haven't had my computer for almost 2 weeks and never knew I had to order. Now I have to wait for it to come, can't login to acer store (says invalid email address) and can't check order status and have no idea when I'll receive it.

I really wish the acer site in general made all of the troubleshooting easier to navigate. When I was on the Windows sight there were a ton of posts about acer drives crashing, restore discs not working, getting new hard drives, paying for new windows disc, paying for eRestore and ongoing frustrations.

I get that hard drives crash and computers have issues but acer has made dealing w it more difficult and slow-going than it has to be.

• Sorry, I'm just a french "volunteer". I'm not an Acer technician.

You can use this form to contact them.

France
  • howcharming
    I was just venting I guess. You were helpful!!!
  • laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,048 Trailblazer

Hello,

What's the news?

France