Windows 10 creators update

buzzy2767
buzzy2767 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

I am using a Gateway model DX4860 with windows 10 ver. 1607. Is this compatable with the windows creators update?

Answers

• buzzy2767
    buzzy2767 Member Posts: 2 New User

Thanks for the tip. Looks like the best thing is to wait until MS notifies me the update is ready for my machine. I really don't see that many improvments, so I'll just wait until then. Thanks again!!

• BBarker123
    BBarker123 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

I chatted with MS Support and they told me I have to get drivers from Gateway for the Fall Creators update to fully install.  Does anyone know when those drivers will be ready?  I had to turn off Win Updates under Services to stop the download until I can install it.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,458 Trailblazer
    buzzy2767>>>I really don't see that many improvments>>>

Well, then could you please tell us what improvements over Win7 that you have seen? Inquiring minds would like to know. 8^) Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• BBarker123
    BBarker123 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

I upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10 a few months after it was released.  There are LOTS of improvements.  The one huge disadvantage to not upgrading is you can't get updates to Win 7 or 8 any longer.  If your system crashes for any reason at all you are out in the cold because NONE of the updates you had already received, over the years, will be available to download and install.  So unless you can afford a new computer........it's foolish, imho, to stay with earlier versions of Windows.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,458 Trailblazer
    >>> The one huge disadvantage to not upgrading is you can't get updates to Win 7 or 8 any longer.>>>

Win7 and Win8x updates continue to 2020 and 2023 respectively. Win10 update and release policies are totally different from earlier WinVers. First, they're automatic with little or no user control over what gets installed. Second, some major Win10 updates are more than just updates to the original Win10 release ---- they're almost like new versions of Windows which has caused havoc even for relatively new machines running earlier Win10 releases. The biggest issue with Win10 is whether or not its next automatic major update will create driver issues or worse disable a machine. So, the advice is to back up your system before attempting a Win10 installation. And don't discard your original factory-installed WinVer media or recovery partition.   Jack E/NJ    

Jack E/NJ