Problem adding RAM.

sheriff12
sheriff12 Member Posts: 14 New User

I have an emachines ET1831-05 which is now under the Acer name. The computer came with 3GB's of RAM. A 1GB module and a 2GB module manufactured by Kingston. My O/S is Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. I purchased another Kingston 2GB module which I have been assured is the precise module to replace the 1GB module so that I will have a total of 4GB's. After plugging in the new module, Windows gives me a message that it didn't start correctly. It gives me two options, either start normally or have Windows check for fixes. I have tried both options and all that happens is that Windows starts loading the files and when it gets all the way to the right which I presume means that all files are loaded it does nothing else. I have tried waiting for about ten minutes with each option, but nothing happens. I contacted Kingston and they guarantee me that it is the right module. I don't want to have to return it for a replacement which Kingston offered to do. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem might be and how to fix it. After I put the old 1GB module back in, it runs like it did before. Thanks for any and all suggestions or discussions about this matter!