Is thi a power supply issue?

Thunderhead64
Thunderhead64 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives
I have a gateway gt5408 and 2 days ago we had a power outage. Now when I turn it on the power button light is the only thing that stays on, nothing else does. The fan starts then stops. Would that be the power supply that is out?

Answers

• Trukntigger
    Trukntigger Member Posts: 256 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon

That's a pretty old system. Power supply a possibility. You can help diagnose by removing the load on it to see if it will post (wakes up). Basically unplug all non essential hardware inside it- non essential as in DVD, hard drives, extra pci cards in slots. Just motherboard with CPU and its fan, ram and video. If it wakes and says missing operating system, good plug in hard drive and try again. (Kinda testing load it can push if it did wake up or if one of the extras shorted). If no post at all power supply could have blown or worse..something on main motherboard. Need a digital voltmeter to really check and even that can not test amperage well. On say the 4 pin power to a hard drive or DVD if metered when on should see 3.3vdc, 5vdc and 12vdc normally orange,red,yellow. Black is ground. Voltage can vary a little from this but very little. Even if these are in range good it may not have the wattage needed to power up system. Be like starting a car with a bunch of "D" size battery's, just not enough power even if you got the volts. But overall power supply good place to start.

• Thunderhead64
    Thunderhead64 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Thank you. I will start with the power supply. Thanks again