Gateway SX2865-UR348 won't start

nicholeb
nicholeb Member Posts: 2 New User

When I turn on this machine, it gives three beeps, then pauses, then three beeps and nothing else happens. I searched online and read that this beep pattern could indicate a memory failure, but I had the memory tested and it worked fine. The shop I went to suggested it might be the motherboard. Is there any way to determine the problem before I buy a new motherboard? Thank you!

Best Answer

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

you can try to unplug DVD-HDD and ram modules.

then boot and check if you are able to enter BIOS pressing Del key

if not

unplug AC cable, find the CMOS battery (silver round) on motherboard, take it off, press power button twice, wait 1 minute and put back CMOS battery and AC cable; try to boot to BIOS

if this fails too...probably is a dead motherboard.

I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• IronFly
    Answer ✓

you can try to unplug DVD-HDD and ram modules.

then boot and check if you are able to enter BIOS pressing Del key

if not

unplug AC cable, find the CMOS battery (silver round) on motherboard, take it off, press power button twice, wait 1 minute and put back CMOS battery and AC cable; try to boot to BIOS

if this fails too...probably is a dead motherboard.

• nicholeb
    nicholeb Member Posts: 2 New User

These didn't work...so I guess I'm going to go ahead and try replacing the motherboard. I just contacted Microsoft, and contrary to what I have read here, they said if I put a new motherboard in  the same computer, they will reactivate Windows for me, so this shouldn't be super expensive. Thank you.

• IronFly

you welcome.