Gateway P-6825 Laptop, when I power up it says Enter Primary Master HDD user Password, HDD is locked

Rictech1
Rictech1 Member Posts: 4 New User

I am working on a friends Gateway P6825 Laptop, somehow the HDD got locked. The owner does not know how to go into the BIOS to set a HDD password, I have been a PC tech for many years and this is my first encounter with this. I did some research, most say contact manufacturer, or they will not help because they think the unit is stolen. I can guarantee it is NOT.

I tried removing the CMOS battery, tried recovering the files with an external drive reader, it shows unallocated space on the disk, and shows it is not initialized. 

I saw some strange fixes that I did not think were a good idea, shorting out the CMOS with a jumper wire, inserting a Vista disk, and doing a Hot swap (while powered up) with the HDD...that could cause other issues, mess up other HW I do believe. 

The owner purchased a new unit, and just wants to recover data. He told me he had the HDD replaces a while back, not sure how to proceed.

Thanks in advance for any info...

Rick

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Rictech1

The owner did not set an HDD BIOS PW. ( He does not hav the knowlege to do so )

We do not know how a PW was set to be required in the BIOS, so we have no idea what the PW would be.

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

please press F2 at boot to enter BIOS and check on security tab if HDD password is frozen or other.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Rictech1

I left a message with the owner that I have some follow up info for him. He has posession of the unit, and I thank you for the link, and I will also try the f2 and check when I get the unit back to work on further.

THANKS !  Will keep this thread open for updates !

• Rictech1

Update !

I spoke with the owner at church on Sunday, He is supposed to contact me today, and he has decided to drop it off to my lab so I can work on it till i figure it out.

I look forward to the help to figure this out, this in my current whate whale!Robot tongue