Gateway NV53A Charging issues

kcasey200
kcasey200 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives

I have an odd issue I'm trying to nail down. I have an old Gateway NV53A with Windows 7 64bit w/service pack 1 - The issue is when the laptop enters sleep mode, with the AC charger plugged in - once the battery is charged to 100% - the AC adapter is no longer recognized as being connected/plugged in and the battery fully discharges until laptop powers off. If waking from sleep mode before the laptop battery fully discharges, the battery taskbar icon now has a red X showing 0% charge and the AC adapter still isn't recognized (plugged in-not charging). This only happens after waking from sleep mode. I have tried a new battery and AC adapter, I've updated BIOS to latest version 2.14, uninstalled/reinstalled - disabled/re-enabled the Microsoft AC adapter and ACPI complient control method battery drivers in device manager, tried different sleep/power settings, tried battery recalibration proceedure - all with no effect. At this point, I'm leaning toward a motherboard issue with the charging circuit not allowing the AC adapter to cycle back on once the laptop is enters sleep mode and the battery charge drops off. Wondering if someone out there has had an issue like this and has found a fix/suggestion to try. Thanks in advance!

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer

Right now you seem to have an annoying 'sleep mode only' issue. Doesn't seem like a hardware issue. If you haven't done so already, I suggest you first disable any 3rd party malware running in the background to see what happens. Report back. Jack E/NJ     

Jack E/NJ

• kcasey200
    Hi, ran scans with Malwarebytes, Avast and CCleaner...just some pup's. I also uninstalled a power management utility. No change, reinstalled...same, no change. Checked bios for any power setting options, nothing there. I'm in the process of trying a 3rd known good battery just to see if the one that was recently order is possibly defective.
  • JackE

So, just to be clear, you have uninstalled MalwareBytes, Avast, CCleaner, a nonWin power mgt utility and any other nonWin software running in the background, then did a complete power-off cold-boot, and it still shows the Sleep Mode charging issue? Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• kcasey200
    I just ran some virus scans, Avast is still installed and running. Power app is uninstalled. I will uninstall Avast and do a clean boot to see if issue persists.
  • JackE

And just for good measure, if you can recall installing any new programs around the approximate date that this sleep mode issue first appeared, you might want to uninstall those too. To tweak your memory, check Control Panel's uninstall a program for a listing of installed programs and dates when they were installed on your system. Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• Jimss454
    Jimss454 Member Posts: 2 New User

I realize this is an old thread, but in the interest of possibly helping out others who may experience this same problem, (which I have, recently), I wanted to share the cause/cure for my issue.  My Gateway is a 10 year old Model ML-6730. It has spent a lot of time not being used over the past 2 years. When I put it back into service almost 3 months ago, it developed the same symptoms - Would charge up normally, then instead of maintaining a full charge, the charge indicator on the status bar would show as if it was running on battery. (The charging icon would show the graphic of the battery only, not the power cable, and it would show a partial charge/less than full battery). If I hovered over it, the status box would say "plugged in, not charging" (?). Just like the original poster stated, if I put it in sleep mode, (or even left it active), the battery would run down to the point of automatic shutdown due to low battery.

What I found to be the probable cause on my unit, was tarnishing of the pins on the charge connector that plugs into the laptop charge port. (This is a very common cause of MANY electronic malfunctions, because low-voltage systems are very sensitive to minor variations in voltage or current, unlike other household electrical or A/C powered equipment). Simply unplugging and re-connecting the charge plug into the power port several times cleared up the problem for about a week or so, (this action scrubs off some of the tarnish layer, which can be invisible to the naked eye). But then it began again. So I repeated the process about 6-7 times, and it has been flawless for the past 2 months. Before I did that, I tried flexing the charge wire close to the connector, because they frequently can have broken wires inside the insulation. But that didn't have any effect, and the LED indicator on the charge adapter stayed lit, so I was quite certain the adapter was still good.

PS: As an old field service technician, who worked on many types of high-tech electronics all over the world, I can share this info with confidence. You wouldn't believe how many malfunctions are cured by simply removing & re-installing connectors, cables, circuit boards, memory cards, CPU's, etc.  I once was sent half-way around the globe to "fix" a failed military Tank Gunnery Simulator. These systems were exposed to some fairly harsh weather conditions, which caused lots of tarnished metals. A quick removal and re-seating of the 6 boards in the card cage and it passed all tests, so I was on the next plane back to L.A. - Saving Uncle Sam and the taxpayers the cost of a hotel room, expenses, and another day of travel time. And no call-outs on it for over a year.