Gateway LT4004u/Acer ZE7 BIOS password

hydranix
hydranix Member Posts: 6 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

I'm looking to fix this netbook.

The BIOS cannot be entered, due to the password. Is there no way to clear it?

Removing to battery and clearing the CMOS via the header did not work of course.

Does anyone know how to remove the password?

or at least

Does anybody know which EEPROM on the motherboard stores the password?

Thanks,

-HNx

Best Answer

• hydranix
    Answer ✓

Ah, finally got it. Well got it a few days ago.

It's actually extremely easy/simple. Being a netboot/laptop/battery powered machine, it's also safer than on a standard desktop without a UPS.

Here's the method I used. Should work on ALL Acer Aspire One/Gateway LT model machines. Can't speak for the others.

Download BIOS update.

Extract BIOS file from .exe update that was downloaded.

Download flashІt.exe FlashІt Download

Prepare a flash drive to boot into DOS

Once in DOS, run FlashІt and use the parameters to clear CMOS and flash over password region.

Thats it. Google the details.

... Acer how on earth could you charge so much money, let alone charge at all for such a fast and rediculously simple operation? There's absolutely NO excuse for why you make customers travel to/pay to ship to an Acer repair center. I guess it's no surprise though as Acer is well known for sticking it to the customer.

Thanks all, I hope my method can save some folks some money.

Answers

• Blayn-Acer
    Blayn-Acer Administrator Posts: 2,355 Community Administrator

Acer can remove the BIOS password at our repair facility. I recommend you contact the Acer service center in your region for assistance removing a BIOS password.

• hydranix

That goes without saying, but I can remove it myself, givin somebody can provide the location of the eeprom or method to remove to pasword non-forcefully.

This isn't by any means secret information,  most laptops are rather simple. 

• Blayn-Acer
    Blayn-Acer Administrator Posts: 2,355 Community Administrator

Understood. Unfortunately, I am unable to provide the information you are looking for. Maybe another community member can assist you or has the information you are looking for.

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

See if you can find a master password here that will work:

http://matrix.home.xs4all.nl/mpwlist.html

• hydranix

Understandable. Thank you for your time, Blayn.

Thank you for the resource philetus, unfortunately none of the password worked. Given the webpage predates the netbook itself, it was expected.

I found just about every service manual for Acer laptops and netbooks, save for the one which I require.

As I was writing this reply, I finally happened across the service/technicians manual I was looking for.

Edit: Was just schematics. **bleep**.

However, it might just be less trouble to dump the BIOS ROM and manually edit the settings I wish to change, and flash it back.

I'm curious if anyone knows of any tools that would make examining this specific netbooks BIOS less arduous. Most tools I've used previously moding my desktop's BIOS weren't of any use with this netbook's BIOS. I believe the LT4004u's BIOS is of the AMI Insyde sort. Doesn't seem to have the AMI header though?

Any information is both welcome and appreciated.

• hydranix
    Answer ✓

It's actually extremely easy/simple. Being a netboot/laptop/battery powered machine, it's also safer than on a standard desktop without a UPS.

Here's the method I used. Should work on ALL Acer Aspire One/Gateway LT model machines. Can't speak for the others.

Download BIOS update.

Once in DOS, run FlashІt and use the parameters to clear CMOS and flash over password region.

... Acer how on earth could you charge so much money, let alone charge at all for such a fast and rediculously simple operation? There's absolutely NO excuse for why you make customers travel to/pay to ship to an Acer repair center. I guess it's no surprise though as Acer is well known for sticking it to the customer.

• hydranix

Download BIOS update.

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

How did you Extract BIOS file from .exe update that was downloaded.I'd like to know that. What do I look for, a .FD file?

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

use 7.z and look for xxx.fd file

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • jnperez
    jnperez Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi! How boot in DOS? Dont show options ! Thanks!

• pb5525
    pb5525 Member Posts: 2 New User

hydranix wrote:

Download BIOS update.

ABSOLUTELY correct! CHEESY ACER, very Cheesy!