Gateway GT5622 Won't Boot to USB

Homeuser
Homeuser Member Posts: 7 New User

Hi, I have an old Gateway GT5622. I have updated the BIOS to current version. I can't seem to find anything in the BIOS other than booting order. I can change the boot order to what ever I want (eg: HDD, CD-Rom). I want to install Windows from USB Thumb drive instead of a DVD. The issue is, when I choose the thumb drive as the boot device, all I get is a black screen with a white cursor in the top left corner, flashing on and off. I know the flash drive is good, it's a Kingston 8GB 3.0 USB. I have used it in other computers but for some reason, this computer it won't work.

1. Is there a special setting in the BIOS I'm missing?
2, I haven't tried to put the software on a 2.0 USB drive, but 3.0 USB's are backwards compatible and didn't think I have to.

Thanks in advance!

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

Does USB show up as a boot option in Bios.F-10 boot menu option in Bios? 

• Homeuser

Yes it does. I think I'm missing something in the BIOS but I can't figure out what or where. Can you boot to a USB device? If so, can you take pic's of your BIOS settings. I'll upload mine soon.

• philetus

If your Bios boot mode is UEFI, it won't work.

Change it to Legacy and it will boot from USB.

• Homeuser

I don't see that option anywhere. Could it be "quick mode"? That is enabled. Not sure if this is it or not.

I also have the following: Legacy Support-Enabled

Or maybe something here: Capture.PNG

• philetus

When you say the usb drive is good, you've used it in other computers, did you use it in other computers to install Windows? Which Windows came installed when you got the computer? Do you have this page in your bios? A bootable usb will need to be in a usb port.

57655.jpg

Download Rufus https://rufus.akeo.ie/ 

and remake your Windows install usb with it. 

• Homeuser

Yes, I've used the USB Flash/thumb drive in many PC's. I also tried to install linux as well, which also boots in other PC's. This screen shot you have, which port USB port did you put it in? I have tried the top 2 in the rear, and the front 2 on the case. I know some MOBO's you have to put the USB dflash drive in certain slots. Perhaps this is one of them. I went to this same screen as your screen shot, and I don't have the option for the USB Flash Drive at all. 

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

your BIOS can't have Legacy or LaunchCSM options since is not an UEFI BIOS.

which windows OS version are you trying to install?

if possible, create an ISO image from that DVD and then burn it  using RUFUS selecting partition scheme MBR for BIOS and FAT32 as format.

please use an USB 2.0 flash drive.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Homeuser

I'm trying to install Window 7, which was on it before. I"m also trying to install linux. I was also trying to get into the PC with Hirens Boot Disk, which all the above are on seperate Flash Drives, that all work in other PC's even Older one's than this one. I'm sure there's a setting here, that I'm missing. I have reset everything back to Default for now. I can install an OS with a DVD, but what I prefer to use the USB instead, as this DVD-Rom is going bad and I don't trust it to install everything completely. By the way,  I use Power ISO to create bootable USB Flash Drives. 

• philetus

Rufus is the best. Post pics of all your bios tabs, but I don't think your computer supports boot from USB.

• Homeuser

I could have sworn I have done it before on here. But Ok. I'll try the Rufus way next. I know you said it might not supportbooting from USB, but I thought it did, I could be wrong. But how does a 10 yr old PC support booting into USB and a 6 yr old one (this one in question) not?

EDIT: I tried Rufus, Getting an "Invalid Partition Table" error. maybe because I set all the BIOS settings back to defaults, and I haven't gone through them again yet?

Here are the pic's you asked for. (My previous dettings)

Advanced Tab.PNG

Acvanced PCI.PNGaudio controller.PNGBoot Drive.PNGBooting.PNGCapture.PNGDVD Rom.PNGHard Disk Drives.PNGPC Health.PNGQuick Boot.PNGRemovable Drives.PNGSuspend Mode.PNGUmass Storage.PNGFront Page.PNG

• philetus

Try setting up a Windows install disk on a SDcard with Rufus and select the SD reader on the "Please select boot device" screen.8gb should be good. It says SD reader is a boot device so, it's worth a try.

• Homeuser

I don't have any of these lying around, like I do USB's. I guess it's just not meant to be. I'll have to replace the DVD drive and install it that way. Thanks for your help!