Gateway EC1803h CPU Upgrade with Duo Core SP9600

ataenter
ataenter Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi,

The motherboard on the Gateway EC1803h supports Front Side Bus of 1066\800, I found a company that's willing to reball a new cpu for me on the board and i wanted to know if the Duo Core SP9600 would be a good substitude;

General specs
Release date:2009
Microarchitecture:Core
Core Name:Penryn
Manufacturing Process:0.045 micron
Socket Type:BGA956
The Number of Cores:2
The Number of Threads:2
Multiprocessing:Not supported
Frequency:2.533 GHz
Bus speed:1.066 GHz
L1 Cache:64 KB (code)
64 KB (data)
L2 Cache:6 MB
Thermal Design Power:25 Watt

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

You have the Celeron SU 2300 at 800MHz,1.2 GHz, 10w and want to replace it with a 

SP9600 at 1066MHz, 2.533GHz, 25w. Do you know if the cooling system can handle a 15 watt increase and the big question is, will the bios allow it.

I made a GHz jump that big in a Dell and it worked. I went from a A-8 to a A-10 in a Acer V3 and it didn't allow it.

I guess it depends on how much you like the laptop. 

• ataenter
    ataenter Member Posts: 2 New User

I found the specs of the actual motherboard and it supports 1066FSB, I guess it all comes down to what you said "How much do you like the laptop"...I actually like it quite a bit, we went through a lot together lol

Below is a link where someone did the cpu upgrade with a 800FSB duo core substitude and the BIOS fully recognized it. 

http://www.retropcmania.com/2012/06/ultrabook-bga-cpu-upgrade.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGnSyQ7erws

I figured since i'm gonna pay $80 to have the new cpu reballed, i might as well go for gold and try the fastest cpu..But wanted some feedback from people with more experience as i can disassemble / re-assemble par of my job, but this is a first swapping a BGA cpu.

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

I would say, if you like it, go for it. $80 sounds cheap for that job.