Gateway DX4870-UB318 - new video card

BuckSatan
BuckSatan Member Posts: 4 New User

I have a DX4870-UB318 Gateway Computer with onboard Intel graphics.  there is a free PCIe-3.0 slot.

I just purchase a new PNY GE Force GT 710 2 gig video card.   This card only requires a 300 watt PSU, which I do have.

When I isntall the card, it freezes at the BIOS splash screen for a few minutes, until it finally comes up with a screen providing details of the card - just what kind of card it is, memory, etc.  Leaving it sit longer, doesn't appear to get any further along in the boot process.

If I take the new card out and switch back to the onboard graphics, it works again.

I installed the latest version of the BIOS for this PC from the Gateway site, hoping that might help or provide some additonal options - such as turning off secure boot, which could be the cause based on some of what i have read.  

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get this working?

The details on the PC:

http://www.cnet.com/products/gateway-dx4870-ub318-core-i5-3330-3-ghz-8-gb-1-tb/specs/

The details on the purchased card:

https://www.pny.com/GeForce_GT_710_2048MB_DDR3_PCI-E_2_0_Low_Profile

Best Answer

• BuckSatan
    Answer ✓

If anyone else has this problem, I have now recieved a response from PNY.  They indicated that I would need a card that is non-UEFI compliant.  Unfortunately, the BIOS on this computer will not support this card.

They recommended the GT 520.  I am not sure, but it is possible that is the last of the cards made that do not require UEFI.

Answers

• techy
    techy Member Posts: 56 Troubleshooter

Have you checked in the bios to see if you have a setting for graphic choice of onboard and PCI-E, if so make sure it`s selected to PCI-E.

the minimum requirement of power is 300 watts which you state you have, but generally manufacturer installed power supplies are enough to run as they come and your adding in a new card with more power requiring the system to run of which can run into a problem, more wattage in a power supply is always better as it`s supplying to your cpu, ram, fans, drives, usb.

Check the bios first as I have a Gateway and another system and both offer graphic choice that must be selected before it can boot properly.

• BuckSatan

Thanks for the reply.  The only PCIe related option in the BIOS is to allow the PCIe to wake the machine.  I have toggled that just to be safe, and it didn't work.

If the PSU isn't supplying enugh power, is that a typical symptom?  Loading to the bios splash screen and freezing?  

• BuckSatan
    Answer ✓

If anyone else has this problem, I have now recieved a response from PNY.  They indicated that I would need a card that is non-UEFI compliant.  Unfortunately, the BIOS on this computer will not support this card.

They recommended the GT 520.  I am not sure, but it is possible that is the last of the cards made that do not require UEFI.

• techy
    techy Member Posts: 56 Troubleshooter

the trend on video cards is for uefi as it becomes easier for the system to communicate together, especially with windows 10, but you could also check out some AMD cards, such as Sapphire R7 or R9 200 series as most of these cards support UEFI and Legacy Bios, they are good quality and worth a look to compare just comes down to what you want to do with your system, but also watch the power supply recomendations more power will always be better as your 300 watt output may actually be less.

• BuckSatan

After more research, I found that the EVGA 600 series cards do not require UEFI and will work on the Gateway.

I ended up going with the GT 610, which actually is a slight improvment over the integrated graphics,  

The DX4870 still has a 300 watt PSU and it seems the more powerful cards need a PSU supplying more power.

If I were to get into spending the money required for a more powerful card and a PSU, it seems it would have been more cost efficient to just get a new PC.