cd not formatting

blueoveralls
blueoveralls Member Posts: 8 New User

When trying to format cd's the DVD/CD drive does not complete the format.  Win 10 error confirms it is unable to complete the format.  I've tried another PC with Win 10 Pro and that can format the disc. Has anyone had this issue?

Answers

• blueoveralls

Aspire E5-574G. thanks

• MattmanCDN
    MattmanCDN Member Posts: 108

Tinkerer

Just curious as to what you are attempting to do  ? the disc is rewriteable ? Ihave had some customers {not you] not know this    cdr will not format in the first place it writes once not thinking you dont know that'but i found this thread :

https://malwaretips.com/threads/how-to-fix-the-%E2%80%9Cwindows-was-unable-to-complete-the-format%E2%80%9D-error.28197/

• blueoveralls
    Hi, it's the normal make a mp3 for the car. Win 7 was easy. Win10 gives options. When I place a cd-r in the drive it asks to format like usb or cd/dvd. I choose latter and Win10 starts to format with options for udf etc. but cannot complete. Sometimes an error throws up that windows cannot"see" the drive but disc manager shows the drive working ok. I've used another pc and can complete the burn so there is something corrupt with my laptop. There is another issue in that a successful burn with the pc does not play in the car cd drive whereas Win7 did.
  • MattmanCDN

Tinkerer

greetings is this a new laptop /burner or an older lappy with 10 on it ? If the latter is the case a firmware(flash) upgrade might be in order to make the old drive work with win 10  im just guessing here have not burned mp3s in ages myself but will google around for this .

• blueoveralls
    Its a spanking new one last week. It did get the massive win10 update but as win10 has cd/dvd functionality within it there ate no drivers available. So if there is a corruption which I may have only a restore/reset may help. I've been looking at the win10 site and it talks about removing filters to force win to reapply the filters correctly. Did that but no resolution. Tried my lads pc and can get that to burn a cd but none of the options produce a readable cd for the car. Suppose I could always replace the car - one that has a usb input!
  • blueoveralls
    Next is to get it repaired under warranty but I can play DVD and rip cds, so its got to be a software issue?
  • MattmanCDN

Tinkerer

im the dummy so i went here:

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-burn-music-cds-in-windows-10.html

thinkin third party software might be the trick ....but it mentions changing quality but jamming the Hdd  not sure that would be the prob on a new laptop thou .will keep lookin

• blueoveralls
    Thanks for taking the time to look. I'll review the windows site again. Tried the SFC/scannow but no errors. Really strange
  • MattmanCDN

Tinkerer

No probs man and i fixed the above link as well ...need more coffee Smiley Tongue

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

In 35 years, other that RW, I have never had to format a CD/DVD before I could burn to it. I just put it in the burner and burn.

• blueoveralls
    Me too, could do it easily with Win7 and below. Nero years ago. Perhaps a 3rd party software is required again? But why would Microsoft take capability away for Win10 home?
  • philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

I doubt they took it away, it's just a incompatability problem with Win 10 on your laptop.

I would suggest you download and see if it solves the problem http://www.imgburn.com/

BUT be very observant and read each page of the install before clicking next because the owner is bundling it now and you will need to do a custom install  to not get unwanted programs. If you do that, it will be fine.

Burnaware is another one, but not as good as imgburn.

install-imgburn-without-adware-s.jpg

• cspace
    cspace Member Posts: 2 New User

Have a Aspire E-15, bought mid 2015, the hard-drive failed after just over 30 days, luckely it was warranted, sent back and they replaced it as factory defective. Then when i puchased a blue tooth mouse/keyboard, they would not be recognized, driver update said up to date. After 6 hours of calls to various people from wherever at Acer they sent me a link to broadcomm driver suite as they had complete spects including serial etc, that did not work, called back they arranged to have the unit returned. So i decided to investigate the device section and saw Atheros name in the section, so i went to Atheros website and matched up an updated driver suite, so what the heck i attempted to install it before i re-sent the unit to Acer. It worked great. So much for Acer tech support. Cancelled the return. Now that computer is out of warranty, i did a first, i tried to burn a regular audio cd, i had burned many dvd's but haven't had a need to burn a regular cd for quite awhile. Ok, no matter what burner software i use, including Windows media , I-tunes, imgburn, whatever... it stops short at 99% and says "Medium not recognized" i use 700 mb Verbatim, tried two other single brand and same. Now, nowhere in this Acer knowledge base, does this subject appear, on the web people have simular but their problems run the gamut of assorted cd/dvd related problems. What gives? Does it burn simple music cd's or not? My Acer Extensa lost it's cd/dvd capability because i dared to upgrade it from Vista to the latest Windows 7 at the time, and does not support Win 7 cd.dvd device drivers. Now is Acer being ultra un-helpful in order that people shell out cash every few years or less on a new device? Stopping patches, updated drivers as quickly as possible to try to bring in coin?
    Customer service almost had me ship back my unit because they did not know the correct drivers for the laptop they created, a faulty HD in less than a month. I went and bought a 2nd Acer, and the thing will not even burn a music cd. Fool me once...fool me twice. And the nagging to upgrade to windows spyware X? No way, people are having so many nightmares between poor manufacturing and support of devices, let alone Windows can get one OS right before they create a OS that not only gives users headaches and nightmares, but tracks them and spys on them too if they are naive. I want to burn a music cd, been doing it on Macs and PC's since the 90's, I used to build the dang machines, used Mac and Windows in my Publishing and Pre-press house back in the 90's on up to 2004, burning a music cd was not a problem. I realize i could start sinking cash into usb external cd/dvd burners, BUT I bought this to do these things, now the Extensa will not work because Acer conveniently decided not to supply a driver for Win 7... now why would they do that as Win 7 was available just after the purchase of the Extensa at 750 bucks at the time, so bluetooth also was incapacitated as no driver available. This is ridiculous. You mfr's are playing greed games. OS mfrs are doing the same plus intruding in peoples "personal" computers. I used to enjoy computing for both work and home and fun now and then, it's like going backwards 20 years, but in a bad way. How can i get this E-15 to burn a cd to play in my car? Be assured i have tried everything, yes driver up to date, even went to Mat**bleep**a/Panasonic for info on Matshita dvd-ram uj8hc ...nothing. I doubt a solution, a reply, as I see so many forums unanswered from 2006 forward to 2016. If I had the driver problem i called about above, with the wrong drivers after all that phone time out of warranty, i would have been out who knows how much. Very disappointing, and as far as upgrade to Win 10, a person would have to have cognitive impairment to go near it, so please get that Win 8.1 patch and fixes machine cranked up, as if you legacy this one, because of that ***** like you did Vista, i will make sure my experience is heard around the world. What a waste.

[overrode word filter]