Updater Crashed message

rcw
rcw Member Posts: 3 New User

I keep getting this image with wings and the words: Updater crashed. What does it mean?

Answers

• finlux
    finlux ACE Posts: 1,834 Pathfinder

Hello RCW

Updater is the name of the program that Acer installs to check for Acer-related program/driver updates.

It seems as if yours has become corrupted, so go to Control Panel> Programs And Features & look for a program called Acer Updater. Click on it & select Uninstall (or double click).

Once unistalled, restart your computer - the issue should now have gone. If you wish to reinstall a working version, go to Acer support & click on Drivers & Manuals. Enter your model details then click on the Application tab then download.

• rcw

I cannot find (under programs and features) Acer Updater.

• finlux

OK.

Then coincidently, another program that you have installed, also uses the same name. Have you recently installed or uninstalled any programs?

• rcw

I have not installed or reinstalled any programs.

• finlux

OK, unusual one this!

I'd now suggest to use system restore, to back to a time BEFORE this message occurred.

• baasb77
    baasb77 Member Posts: 2 New User

On my computer, it was called Live Updater.

Control Panel > Programs and Features > Live Updater by Acer Corporation > Uninstall

This seems to have worked for me. My computer usually ran obnoxiously slowly for several minutes until the "updater crashed: no solution yet" message appeared, so I suspected it of CPU hogging, but had no idea which program was generating the message. I finally googled the issue and found this page. Sure enough, after uninstalling Live Updater, my computer now runs noticeably faster after booting up.

• sanho
    sanho Member Posts: 1 New User

If I uninstall Live Updater - is it important or necessary to re-install it from the Acer website?

• baasb77
    baasb77 Member Posts: 2 New User
    No, as far as I know, the software patches downloaded by Live Updater are superfluous. I doubt that Acer would have any major or necessary update to their system anyway.