My laptop wont sleep when closing the lid it stays on!(aspire E1-572)

kenz101
kenz101 Member Posts: 42 Devotee WiFi Icon
edited February 2019 in Aspire Laptops

I have an Acer aspire E1-572 laptop with windows 10 version 1607 the latest to date. now the laptop did sleep in the previous version of windows when i close the lid but now it does not. I have checked the chipset driver, intel graphics driver and the management drivers and have refreshed them with the ones in acer support but no fix. The strage thing is that my laptop will sleep if i tell it to through start menu does anyone have any ideas?

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.      :) 

Best Answer

• kenz101
    Answer ✓
    So to put this issue to bed my laptop had maintenance done on it. I had to open up my laptop and recheck ribbon cables to everything. It turned out that the ribbon cable that went to my power button had a bad connection so I connected it properly and wala it sleeps properly again.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.      :) 

Answers

• kenz101

Problem solved i think!!! 

I went into power options ( I have already messed about in here plenty of times ) and tried something new. I went to advanced power settings and selected lid closed action, now it already says sleep. So i changed both to do nothing and applied this. I then tested and it turns my screen off when i close the lid so i know the mechanism that works with the sleep mode works! so i went back into power options and back into advanced to change the setting back to sleep. Once applied i tested again and WHALA it works my laptop now sleeps again. 

There must be a bug issue with windows new build 1607 so if you are experiencing the same issue try this as this has worked for me. i will be testing for a week so i will update to say if this has been a permanent fix.

If you need help with this message here i can assist you.

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder

kenz101,

If your problem resurfaces, you can check to see if you need a BIOS update. 

If you have Haswell-ULT, e.g. i5 4200U....and I assume you do, then most people use the Windows 8.1 Intel Management Engine Interface driver as a workaround.  Although I found a different method to resolve the issue.

I think I know why you're just now experiencing this issue, but won't bore you with the details.

There's lots of topics on this forum about the issue if you want to search the forum.

The sleep/hang or shutdown/hang doesn't happen every time.....so even though you may think you have it fixed, it's possible that it might not be.  Time will tell.

If you don't have Haswell-ULT, then disregard my post.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • kenz101

Ok after testing for about a week i think there is a problem with the device that tells the sotware the laptop lid is closed as im still getting the problem from time to time. i have closed the lid the other day and noticed the laptop was still running so i pressed the lid down with a bit of presure and it then went to sleep.

How would i go about fixing this issue?

• JordanB

Here's the driver that I'm using with my Haswell-ULT.  I've been testing it for 6 months.  No sleep problems.  Computer works great. Ultimately, everyone with Haswel-ULT is waiting for Microsoft to push out a new Windows 10 MEI driver.

All you can do at the moment is workarounds.

Those are the only two known workarounds that I'm aware of.

ultme.PNG

• kenz101

Ok i installed the driver you provided but still no joy....

I have closed the lid and even the screen still stays on?? im sure this is a hardware problem ie there must be a switch some where that controls the sleep function that must be damaged. i can tell my computer to sleep and it will even using the Fn F4 function just when i close the lid it does not.

• JordanB

Ok, the only other suggestion I have (besides what I've already mentioned in previous posts) is to restore your computer to factory condition.  If the behavior still occurs when the PC is in factory condition, then yes you may have a hardware problem.

https://store.acer.com/en-us/extended/recovery/

http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/

• RedGinger
    RedGinger Member Posts: 4 New User
    Kenz101 said he believed it was a mechanical issue and not software..... I agree.... So...... Is there a switch in the hinge that cuts the power to the display???
  • kenz101
    Answer ✓
    So to put this issue to bed my laptop had maintenance done on it. I had to open up my laptop and recheck ribbon cables to everything. It turned out that the ribbon cable that went to my power button had a bad connection so I connected it properly and wala it sleeps properly again.
  • CarolynKay
    CarolynKay Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

I can't tell you how much grief this problem has caused me. The machine WASN'T GOING TO SLEEP. This process fixed that.

kenz101 said:

Problem solved i think!!! 

I went into power options ( I have already messed about in here plenty of times ) and tried something new. I went to advanced power settings and selected lid closed action, now it already says sleep. So i changed both to do nothing and applied this. I then tested and it turns my screen off when i close the lid so i know the mechanism that works with the sleep mode works! so i went back into power options and back into advanced to change the setting back to sleep. Once applied i tested again and WHALA it works my laptop now sleeps again. 

There must be a bug issue with windows new build 1607 so if you are experiencing the same issue try this as this has worked for me. i will be testing for a week so i will update to say if this has been a permanent fix.

If you need help with this message here i can assist you.

• hazem94
    hazem94 Member Posts: 32 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    JordanB said:

kenz101,

If your problem resurfaces, you can check to see if you need a BIOS update. 

If you have Haswell-ULT, e.g. i5 4200U....and I assume you do, then most people use the Windows 8.1 Intel Management Engine Interface driver as a workaround.  Although I found a different method to resolve the issue.

I think I know why you're just now experiencing this issue, but won't bore you with the details.

There's lots of topics on this forum about the issue if you want to search the forum.

The sleep/hang or shutdown/hang doesn't happen every time.....so even though you may think you have it fixed, it's possible that it might not be.  Time will tell.

If you don't have Haswell-ULT, then disregard my post.

I thank you a lotttttt ...... you saved my life. I tried it many times, it WORKED for me 👌👍⚒️