E5 722 89MU screen keeps blinking

celinego
celinego Member Posts: 5 New User

Just started happening after a week of no use. Any ideas what to try to find out why and how to fix?

Plus, I have two of these, both bought from QVCUK in June last year so both under warranty still.  The other one is my son's and it wouldn't boot Windows last week suddenly.  Kept saying a file was missing.  Eventually I had to create a Win10 bootable flash drive and fix from that.

However, now that my own laptop screen has also started blinking, I'm wondering if it is worth sending BOTH laptops in to be looked at and fixed properly.  Has kind of put me off Acer(s) and seems a bit too coincidental that both laptops developed problems at the same time.

Any advice, especially on blinking screen appreciated. Thanks.

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

Move the screen up and down and see if that causes it to blink. The cable for the screen runs through one of the hinges and can get worn and develop a problem, but I wouldn't expect it on a newer laptop. It could also be the connection on the display or motherboard not making good connection.

With both newer laptops having a problem at the same time, I would run Malwarebytes free and see if they got infected with a bit of malware. https://www.malwarebytes.org/mwb-download/

• celinego
    celinego Member Posts: 5 New User

Hi philetus and thanksfor the reply.  I do run malwarebytes regularly on both and nothing's been found on either.  

On the blinking screen, I did consider maybe a cable/wire was caught trapped but the laptop is completely enclosed - there isn't even an external battery compartment - one of the "cons" of the purchase.

I did the most basic "did you switch off and on again?"  and restarted it and that did the trick!  Hasn't blinked since. Have a feeling an auto update might have gone through affecting the graphics card driver.  Knowing my luck though both will conk out competely on 7th June - 1 day after both warrranties expire!  

Thanks again ....

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

Glad it works correctly now.

Although you don't have an external battery, you can still reset it if you need to and it's a good thing to try first with any problem.Unplug it and turn it upside down. Find the pin hole in the bottom, use a paperclip to gently press into the hole until you feel a click and hold it for 5 seconds.

I just figure that's the way warranties work.