SSD m.2 upgrade for E5-575-33BM laptop, limited to 256GB?

2»

Answers

• gobeavs
    gobeavs Member Posts: 2 New User

Awesome, thank you for getting back to me. I'm not sure about your issue with the original hard drive. That's part of the reason I'm apprehensive about it, because both of my drives would be internal and I'm really not that comforable pulling the original HDD from my laptop. (Although it probably wouldn't be a big deal, I'm just hesitant when it comes to messing with the hardware.)

If you are booting to your SSD now, and you can still see the original HDD in your disk management can you just format it in there? So now your C drive would be your SSD, with your OS on it, and the HDD can be storage. I'm not sure if that's how it works, but that's my best guess. I haven't seen any tutorials where both drives are inside the laptop. It works in my mind, but I'm not sure if it would work that way in practice lol.

I would put it back in and see what happens. If the SSD is first on the boot list it seems like you should be in good shape, but I'm not sure.

• mdavid
    mdavid Member Posts: 11 New User

Took me so long to get where I am with the ssd as my bootable C: drive that I don't want to do anything to mess that up like attaching 2 bootable c drives at the same time.

So I'm going to go with Brummyfans suggestion of a SATA to usb connection, 'cause as I understand windows 10 won't boot from a usb.

Did you manage to install and boot from your SSD?

Is there any way that I can suggest to this forum board that messages are displayed as latest first instead of having to scroll to the end  of the thread every time

• mdavid
    mdavid Member Posts: 11 New User

This video might help

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,104 Trailblazer

mdavid wrote:

Took me so long to get where I am with the ssd as my bootable C: drive that I don't want to do anything to mess that up like attaching 2 bootable c drives at the same time.

So I'm going to go with Brummyfans suggestion of a SATA to usb connection, 'cause as I understand windows 10 won't boot from a usb.

Did you manage to install and boot from your SSD?

Is there any way that I can suggest to this forum board that messages are displayed as latest first instead of having to scroll to the end  of the thread every time

Hi David,

You can do that by going to Options on the top right of the thread page, switch to "Sort newest to oldest".

Capture.JPG

• Zbrah
    Zbrah Member Posts: 1 New User
    What if you wanted to use a bigger capacity ssd than the 275gb one listed though? 275 isn't "much" bigger than the 256 recommended limit.  Would it be possible to put an m2 ssd with more capacity? What problems could potentially arise from going over that recommended capacity?
  • Zbrah said:
    What if you wanted to use a bigger capacity ssd than the 275gb one listed though? 275 isn't "much" bigger than the 256 recommended limit.  Would it be possible to put an m2 ssd with more capacity? What problems could potentially arise from going over that recommended capacity?

Hi,
    The maximum capacity recommended by Acer after testing but you could try larger capacity SSD as the member in this thread have successfully installed, it may work or not as a boot drive. please read the last post in this thread.
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/551131#Comment_551131