No bootable device on startup for UEFI

hellbraker
hellbraker Member Posts: 6 New User
edited August 2023 in 2018 Archives

Hi, I just updated my BIOS version from 1.15 to 1.25 for my Aspire E15 (E5-573-32JT). I downloaded the version from http://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

with my SNID ***.

However on BOOT I get an error saying "No Bootable Device".

I Googled and found a similar issue in Tom's Guide here

And as per that post I'm using Legacy instead of UEFI.

I wish to know whats the difference booting up with Legacy. And is there anyway to revert back (booting up with UEFI)?

[edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, email addresses, phone numbers, full serial numbers, etc.]

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

please edit your SNID, it's a personal data.

Legacy was an "emulation" of the old BIOS way, UEFi is the modern way.

Since you are using a modern OS (from windows 8.x and up), UEFI is way more secure, the main issue is if you switch to legacy, you will receive a "no bootable device" since it can't read the little EFI partition that store some infos to boot under UEFI.

you can easily revert to UEFI:

Boot to BIOS pressing F2

Go to BOOT tab

press enter on BOOT mode and select UEFI

press F10 to save and exit

let your system boot to windows

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • hellbraker

will check and reply soon. Thanks

• hellbraker

I tried the solution but it still doesnt boot up under UEFI

• IronFly

Check if UEFI is still selected and check also which devices are available on Boot priority order.

WIndows boot manager must be the first or at least your HDD.

just to narrow a few things, which windows OS version is installed?

you can also try to press F9 when on BIOS (this will load defaults settings) and then press F10.

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder

Since your computer came pre-installed with Linpus, it might have been in legacy mode.  Not sure.  Unfortunately there's not a lot of people on this forum that have a computer that came pre-installed with Linpus.  Ironfly might know.

http://www.acer.com/ac/en/IN/content/model/NX.MVHSI.043

• hellbraker

It was all fine untill I updated the BIOS.That means, it was all good under UEFI untill them.

Post update, I get that error message saying no bootable device found.

I change the mode to Legacy all is fine. This is weird.

• IronFly
    If booting under Legacy works, yoi can check under window disk management the available partitions.
    If EFI partition is not here...you didn't installed under UEFI settings.
  • hellbraker

I must be missing something. Because, I didn't gey what you meant by "you didn't installed under UEFI settings. "

Do you mean installing the BIOS update under UEFI settings? But there was no such thing when installing the update.

Kindly see the attached screenshot of Disk Management.

Capture.JPG

C: is shown as Boot,Page File, Crash Dump, Primary, Partition

• IronFly

I mean that your OS was installed under Legacy settings, since the EFI partition is missing from your HDD, so setting UEFI under BIOS, it will alwasy give you "boot device missing".

Legacy is the correct setting for your actual installation.

• hellbraker

The laptop came with Windows 8.1 x64 installed from the outlet. As mentioned before, everything was fine untill the BIOS update, which was performed like 3 or 4 days before.

• JordanB

Step-by-step instructions on how to clean install vanilla Windows 8.1 or vanilla Windows 10 in UEFI mode is in link below.  And will help you get un-stuck from legacy mode.

https://community.acer.com/t5/V-and-VN-Series-Laptops/Acer-Aspire-V3-772-Windows-8-1-clean-install/td-p/449512

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows8

Edit: Your Windows installation is currently in legacy mode (legacy MBR partition style).  The BIOS update didn't somehow magically re-install your Windows installation in to legacy installation. I think you're confused.  Smiley Happy

The default settings for the BIOS that you upgraded to were UEFI.  Since you had a legacy MBR installation of Windows, you got the message no bootable device.

You could also just use your USB factory default recovery drive that you created when you first purchased the computer.  Acer is not allowed (by Microsoft) to sell computers that come pre-installed with Windows 8.1 in legacy mode.

• JordanB

Make sure you backup all of your important personal files as the instructions I gave you will completely wipe your drive.

• JordanB

If Acer did make the mistake of selling you a computer that came pre-installed with Windows 8.1 in legacy mode, I would sure hope that they would reach out to you to rectify the error.

Edit:

But I'm assuming you installed Windows in legacy mode for whatever reason.  Either intentionally or by accident.  Which is a very common problem on this forum.  People get in to legacy mode and install Windows in legacy mode, but don't know how to get out of it.

It's always best to leave your BIOS settings alone unless you know what you're doing.

Edit2: And now that I think of it, Acer's factory Windows 8.1 image can't be installed in legacy mode.  So I guess you must have installed vanilla Windows 8.1 in legacy mode.

• wizwik
    wizwik Member Posts: 2 New User

I have a Acer Aspire ES 15 model. I would like to boot in Legacy mode. In security, I can see that Secure Boot is set to Standard and cannot be changed.

In  the Boot menu I can see that the Boot mode is set to [UEFI] and Secure Boot is set to [Enabled]. I assume the square brackets mean it can be changed but I cannot move to the field with the cursor. I can move to the Boot Proirity Order menu so that is all working.

Is there an Edit mode I am missing?

• JordanB

I don't recommend that you change to legacy mode.  Altering BIOS settings is for intermediate to advanced users.

If you want to change to Legacy mode, you must first create a supervisor password.

Legacy mode exposes your computer to rootkits and other nasty malware.

https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/27071#_ga=2.127460430.274505373.1494037817-1356312078.1488441539

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyabVjIZik0

https://www.youtube.com/user/AcerAmericaService/videos

• wizwik
    wizwik Member Posts: 2 New User

Thanks for your help. I was able to enter a Supervisor pass word and was then able to change the Boot/Secure Boot mode to Disabled. I then rebooted. According to the YouTube video after I entered the Boot menu, the Boot mode should have been selected. It was not so, I cannot get to it with the cursor keys either, to change the boot mode. I am not sure what I am missing. I will keep trying the sequence again.

• JordanB

You should start a new topic and ask "How to enable legacy mode <<insert model number here>>?".   Be sure to list your complete model number.  It's possible that Acer has a different method with new computers.  I don't have a new computer so my information may not apply to you.

• gmarcotte3
    gmarcotte3 Member Posts: 1 New User
    IronFly said:

please edit your SNID, it's a personal data.

Legacy was an "emulation" of the old BIOS way, UEFi is the modern way.

Since you are using a modern OS (from windows 8.x and up), UEFI is way more secure, the main issue is if you switch to legacy, you will receive a "no bootable device" since it can't read the little EFI partition that store some infos to boot under UEFI.

you can easily revert to UEFI:

Boot to BIOS pressing F2

Go to BOOT tab

press enter on BOOT mode and select UEFI

press F10 to save and exit

let your system boot to windows

there is no BOOT mode on the boot tab.   (aspire ES1-132)
    Nothing works always comes back with no bootable OS found

is there a mode where the bios just works like it did before, secure boot disable means boot form the dam hard drive in the boot order list