New laptop so slow. e5-575g

Medothe1
Medothe1 Member Posts: 16 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

hey guys I recently bought my laptop e5-575g and I'm experiencing frequent lag using the pc and doing simple tasks. when i open the task manager the disk utilization is almost always 100% .. the hdd is 5400rpm, the thing that bothered me more than anything that my older laptop which was released in 2010 i guess had an older hdd and i never had this kind of lag .. could it be the windows 10 ? or is it something related to hardware hdd or ram for instance ?

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

any antivirus installed?

if so, uninstall any third party antivirus and just run the integrated windows defender

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Medothe1
    Yes I have Avast but I installed it after I noticed the problem, it was there even before
  • IronFly

ok but Avast is not the best choice in my opinion, i saw so many issue in the past.

a 100% HDD load can be indexing or antivirus scans or windows defragging the HDD or system protection creating restore points.

(5400rpm is a slow HDD nowaday)

• Medothe1
    I know its not the best option either avast or 5400rpm
    But believe it or not they were running smoothly on my older laptop
    I even disabled avast for a while to see the difference but it was the same .. for example hdd usage 0% and I open for example Origin (not the heaviest app on my pc) it goes to 100% and stays like that until its opened and not loading anymore .. if one app takes all my hdd speed then something is NOT okay regardless of the hdd speed
  • IronFly

at this point, you can run a checkdisk to check if your HDD has any damaged sector or something going wrong:

windows logo key + x

click on Command prompt (administrator)

type

chkdsk C: /R

it will take a long time.

• Medothe1
    Any other solution? I tried that already :c
  • IronFly

i would try

AHCI and chipset drivers from Acer support website and a BIOS update too

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/6737?b=1

• Medothe1

there are many updates there, do i have to install them all or just the latest one of each ?

• IronFly

you can install the last 1.20 BIOS

about drivers, you need to find if your CPU is kabylake or skylake and install the related driver.

use CPU-Z to find which version of CPU is on your system:

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

zip version is ok.

• Medothe1
    Ok forget that for now ... I installed latest BIOS update and it restarted the windows and when it opened it shows "no bootable device" :////
  • IronFly

enter BIOS pressing F2, check if is set UEFI, switch to Legacy, if it's set to LEgacy, switch to UEFI.

normally is under Boot menu

• Medothe1
    Ok everything is up to date now and my cpu is skylake .. but yeah still laggy for no reason :/
    Could it be windows related issue?
  • IronFly
    Could be but it's hard to know what's doing this.
  • miketouslon
    miketouslon Member Posts: 1 New User

i guess its a very late reply, yeh this laptop actually sucks bcs of lag... install win 7 64bit you will find noticable difference. that 100% usage is a win 10 issue

• Medothe1
    Haha yeah pretty late. I'm using win 8.1 now .. It has an issue but I can live with it compared to the crappy win 10 .. Thanks for ur concern anyways
  • Trukntigger
    Trukntigger Member Posts: 256 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon

I find it hard to think just the hard drive would cause it.  I mean I know they boot way slower but maybe I'm spoiled? My E5-575G-527J smoking fast.  Granted- 8gb ram to start, m2 ssd hard drive and a gtx950 with 2gb ddr5.  Games great, I do not see this hard drive load  mentioned and win 10 has grown on me. Guess without knowing the subclass of model harder to narrow down, but that 5400rpm hard drive has got to go.  I use those in external usb enclosures for backup duty (don't trust cloud).  This laptop I even added another 8 gb ram, another 240gb ssd and in empty dvd caddy spot a 2tb 5400rpb for storage duty and upgraded the display to IPS.  Love this thing.