New Acer Aspire F5-571 (Windows 10) random beeping

KuriousKicia
KuriousKicia Member Posts: 4 New User

Hi,

I bought a new Acer Aspire F5-571 already loaded with Windows 10 afew days ago. I notice that it beeps randomly. There is no pattern to the timing of the beeps nor is there a pattern to the number of beeps (e.g. could be a single beep, could be a couple of quick beeps).

It sounds like it is coming from the machine itself as when I mute the sound you can still hear the beeps and it doesn't sound like a notification beep.

Also I had the exact same problem with two HP laptops (both Windows 10) before this laptop. I thought they were faulty so I got them replaced both times and now I have the exact same problem with this laptop. Therefore I am wondering whether this is a Windows 10 issue. All three laptops seem to run fine and I even took the 2nd HP laptop to a computer shop and they couldn't find anything wrong with it.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be? Do I need to update a driver or something?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

Thanks Smiley Happy

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

i think that a little video with this sound, can help us to understand where those beeps are from.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • KuriousKicia

I've got a couple of examples of the beeping from a recent Skype call, however I can't find a way to upload it to this forum.

The beeping occurred very frequently during the Skype call, I'd say a beep per minute on average. I think the sound is coming from the right side of the laptop - If this is any help.

• IronFly

if the file isn't too big, you add as attachments, just click on choose file, browse to the file and let it upload.

by the way, the HDD is in the right side of your laptop; can you please try to listen if the beep is coming also during other operation than Skype calls?

• KuriousKicia

Unfortunately I only have an option to add an image or a link. When I tried to upload the video via the 'Insert image' option, it said it was an invalid file type.

The beeping also occurs when I am browsing on the internet (particularly Youtube). However it is pretty random. The laptop was fine for the first hour yesterday when browsing the internet, then it beeped alot during the Skype call and then it started beeping whilst browsing. Could it be a speaker/mic issue?

Also I looked up BIOS beeps on Youtube and it didn't sound anything like what I am getting. The beep on my laptop is more like a screech.

• IronFly

ok, on youtube search about HDD ticking noise or HDD noise, hear if it's something similar at yours issue.

• KuriousKicia

I had a look on Youtube and I couldn't find anything that matched the noise I'm getting, even when I searched for videos relating to Windows 10 and Acer Smiley Frustrated

The noise is like a little, short screech/squeak. I've searched through forums using the words 'screech' and 'squeak' and someone suggested:

"The laptop is new one and this is just the noise of the hard disk. Some hard disk make such kind of a sounds."

This would explain why both HP laptops made the sound as well. But is it normal for some hard disks to make this sort of noise?

Thanks for your help on this.

• IronFly
    Some HDDs do these kind of sounds but depends how audible it is.

since you are still under warranty, i would contact Acer support service.

By the way if you need a silent laptop, a SSD upgrade it's what you need.
  • Annarb
    Annarb Member Posts: 1 New User

I just wanted to say that I am experiencing this exact same issue.  I noticed this thread: http://community.acer.com/t5/Windows-10/R7-371T-Windows-10-Synaptics-Driver-gives-beeps/td-p/376246 and that Acer resolved this by working with Realtek to release new driver software.  I feel that the issue we are having is a problem with the driver.  At the moment I've tried re-installing the driver software, however this made no difference.  No updated driver software is available.  Acer advised me to contact the company I bought the computer from.  They've suggested re-setting the computer to factory settings.  This will take time (moving files, re-installing software etc), my concern is that if I'm right and this is a driver software problem, re-setting to factory settings won't resolve it.  It would be great if Acer could look into this properly.