How to get audio from the headphone port while external HDMI monitor is connected

doggod42
doggod42 Member Posts: 4 New User

I can't find any way in the Win 10 screens. Is there a way?

Best Answer

• PMiner
    PMiner Member Posts: 180 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    If you install the Realtek Audio driver from Acer Support, you should be able to choose your audio output device.

Answers

• PMiner
    Answer ✓
    If you install the Realtek Audio driver from Acer Support, you should be able to choose your audio output device.
  • doggod42

I did download that, and from all appearances it did install. I can't find anything on my system where I can go to do whatever needs to be done to make the audio appear at the headphone jack, however. If you can help me out there also, I'd appreciate it.

• PMiner

In the notification icons of your screen, you should see this:RTA.PNGor this:RTA2.PNG but if not, click this: Notification.PNGthen you should see it. if you double click that, this:RTD.PNG

or this: RTD2.PNG

window opens up asking you which audio device to use.

if you don't see this, you may not have installed it properly. You may have clicked RtL2.exe instead of setup.exe.

• doggod42

I have Realtek HD downloaded, and everything has been working fine for months, but today, out of the blue, the audio stopped going to the headphone port (which actually feeds my powered speaker system) and started going to the HDMI connection. Running the test on the realtek window yields correct audio to the headphone port-driven speakers, but actual apps, such as Pandora or Youtube, are going to the HDMI monitor's crappy little speakers. Nothing on the realtek window suggests a way to force the audio to the headphone port and, as I said, it appears that realtek thinks that the way things are operating.

To double check the speakers, I connected them to the headphone jack on my phone, and that works fine.

• Trukntigger
    Trukntigger Member Posts: 256 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon

Preferences for audio out- mixer- see list of output devices.  With both devices plugged in (hdmi and usb) select the usb as default then run the programs you want. The change won't occur if the app is already running. So...select the device default then start neflix, youtube, whatever. I have the same issue using bluetooth headaset for chat on my system, have to connect headset (default already set once its on) then start the chat program, if I start chat then start headset it won't switch over.

• doggod42

I figured it out myself. I didn't notice that there is a menu of outputs available when you click the speaker icon in the toolbar (normally it just displays the audio level and a slider bar to adjust it. There is also an up-arrow in the corner, and when I clicked it I discovered that somehow it had changed itself to HDMI. So I reselected back to the headphone port, problem solved.