How to enable virtualization on my Acer Aspire E5-553

2»

Answers

• npessoa
    npessoa Member Posts: 2 New User
    I, on the other hand, was trying to disable virtualization while Windows don't resolve an issue in the latest build that cause the PC to get stuck on boot:
    Certain devices may hang on the boot screen after upgrading. If this happens to you, go into the BIOS and disable virtualization.

• spaims
    spaims Member Posts: 1 New User
    I really cannot believe that this has still not been fixed. I also bought this laptop because my other Acer had a smaller processor and didn't do VMs too well (but it at least had AMD-V enabled). Disabling virtualisation at the BIOS and then continually not enabling it in any of the updates is absolutely ridiculous.

I'm very thankful that there are some smart people around on the internet that have come up with a solution. I followed this video:
    https://youtu.be/nEb_gEUMTjY
    and successfully enabled AMD-V so that I could run VMs on my laptop.

I am another customer who will not buy another Acer laptop after this.
  • temp_regis
    temp_regis Member Posts: 4 New User
    edited May 2018
    Bios Version 1.31 released on 2018/05/02
    still not have Vertualization option in BIOS

disappointed ... :/

• rosesbyrosex
    rosesbyrosex Member Posts: 18 Troubleshooter
    Bios Version 1.31 released on 2018/05/02
    still not have Vertualization option in BIOS

disappointed ... :/

yes, sad but it can be enabled modifing the UEFI variables as shown on the video above
  • rosesbyrosex
    rosesbyrosex Member Posts: 18 Troubleshooter
    here virtualization enabled on bios version 1.31

• gamesgreh
    gamesgreh Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited August 2018
    Hi,

DON'T BUY ACER AGAIN.

I am Android developer and wanted to run Android X86 and other ROMs. Android Studio says AMD-V is not available. Linux says AMD-V is available but disabled in BIOS. After research i found ACER has intentionally locked it. Looks like Microsoft's advisory or Acers own technical failure. Lesson i got is STAY AWAY FROM ACER because they are not going to fix it.
  • teoseller
    teoseller Member Posts: 4 New User
    here virtualization enabled on bios version 1.31

Hi  @rosesbyrosex this is the changed vars file that i can upload on my acer e5 553?

thanks

• DiegolCR
    DiegolCR Member Posts: 5 New User
    amysombie said:

Hi, I'am a student trying to install virtual machine (Virtual Box) on my laptop. However, virtualization seems to be disabled in the BIOS, When i access to my BIOS there is no menu to enable it. It is hidden.

So,  How  can I enabled it please?

FOLLOW THIS VIDEO AND IT WILL FIX THE VIRTUALIZATION ISSUE BY UPDATING THE BIOS VERSION https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEb_gEUMTjY
  • DiegolCR
    hisyam7 said:
    We as an acer user expect the next bios update please added virtual feature. how many users are around me and all complain about it. :anguished:
    FOLLOW THIS VIDEO AND IT WILL FIX THE VIRTUALIZATION ISSUE BY UPDATING THE BIOS VERSION https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEb_gEUMTjY
  • DiegolCR

v1.19 here and still no AMD-VSin ttulopng

• DiegolCR
    Cashmundy said:

This is completely insane. Acer is blithely admitting that they have marketed products which have an integral function of the CPU disabled without making that fact public, so everyone who has bought one of these things is a victim of deceptive advertising.

One thing I will certainly do is never buy an Acer product again. This is my 3rd and definitely my last one.

[edited to comply with guidelines]

• DiegolCR
    kking1276 said:

There's a new bios update out, 

v1.18, 2017-06-08 with the helpful description of 'Change EC to V1.9 revision'

does anyone know if the virtualization setting has been exposed in it?

anz said:

Thanks kking1276 for your response.

i'll try it later, right now i'm trying to use virtualbox instead of virtual machine.

yes, agreed with you, if the solution works, acer really should be embarrassed

How to enable vt-x in Aspire E5-553 does any one know any way to enable this.  

anz said:

dear all

I have a same problem with my Aspire E5-553G-F79R (AMD-FX)

I bought this notebook because of it's virtualization support, but very disappointed that the feature is disabled in firmware, and no way to enable it (i've upgrade bios version to 1.12a with no good news).

Acer support team have to explain to all customers about this issues, and hopefully there is a way to solve this problems.

below images is response from systeminfo.exe, and as we can see (red squarebox) virtualization is disabled in firmware

virtualization-E5-553GPNG

please anyone can help me to solve this problems? 

thanks in advance

kking1276 said:

That's tricky...the reseller won't take it back, it's not broken per se.

Acer literature doesn't mention this limitation/restriction anywhere. With a recent high performance processor and lots of RAM, I Iike other posters here and on the internet, was stunned that this laptop doesn't allow virtualization to be enabled.. That's deceptive.

My kid's laptop allows virtualiztion to be enabled, with a inferior processor and less memory.

Can you please request to have the setting exposed in the BIOS like it usually is in just about every other computer?
    There was a  BIOS update last week, so development is still active.

Thank you,

Kevin

I'm an IT professional who trust on Acer products to do my job, I acquired a previous model of this laptop (Aspire E5-551) and enabling virtualization was not a problem. In fact I was very satisfied and recommended acer to my job partners, that's why I acquire this new model (Aspire E5-553). To my surprise, there is no way to enable virtualization on it, even when the product is capable enough to realize it and the previous model has the option to do that. I upgraded my laptop BIOS in the hope a recent BIOS has the option to do this, but sadly, even the most recent BIOS upgrade I found (2017-04-25) hasn't this option. I see your technical team continues to improve and make BIOS upgrades to benefit consumers, so I think adding the option to enable virtualization would be possible as a part of your next BIOS upgrade, that will be a great addition to this laptop and will allow me to keep considering Acer to do my job. In the meantime, I will stay with my previous model.

Acer-Mary said:

Acer is unable to offer a different model or a refund. Please contact the reseller from where you purchased the system for your return/exchange options. 

I just bought this model because I want to setup a virtualization enviroment, can you return my money or change my model for a model with full support for virtualization?

Acer-Mary said:

Hi Amysombie

While it's correct that the hardware supports virtualization, this feature was not included in the BIOS to enable since it's not a supported feature on this model. Sorry we couldn't assist with this issue.

BR

Mary

Acer America

amysombie said:
    Hi Acer-mary. The virtualization is supported and enabled in the Cpu of my laptop. What i found during my researches is related to the fact that AMD-vt is disabled in the BIOS. However, the poor menu of BIOS given by the vendor (insydeh20) doesn't allow me to enable this option. That's is
    Acer-Mary said:

If there is no setting in the BIOS to enable virtualization then this feature is not supported on this model. Unfortunately there isn't a way to enable this on models that don't support virtualization.

amysombie said:

Hi, I'am a student trying to install virtual machine (Virtual Box) on my laptop. However, virtualization seems to be disabled in the BIOS, When i access to my BIOS there is no menu to enable it. It is hidden.

So,  How  can I enabled it please?

• snehal12596
    snehal12596 Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

It is risky to change bios binary values like this.

Please provide update instead.

Because i can't extract binary file from exe file of bios.
  • Windra_kla
    Windra_kla Member Posts: 1 New User
    can I immediately use this file to my Acer E5-553G-114Q without any need to change it again.
    the bios that I use version 1.31
    this is my var.txt file.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1EMw4g2R0XCgzYc54BDLIIQFGfosZwAQ6

• Moha2466
    Moha2466 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hi. I have an Acer e5 553g f1wz laptop.I wanted to know if this model supports virtualization or not ??If it supports, where is the option in the bios because I did not find it or it may not be ??
  • Deku006
    Deku006 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Acer espire E5-553G doesn't support virtual machine or virtualization of any kind, please don't waste your time finding out that how to run Linux in your low running laptop
  • AathiThiagarajah200
    AathiThiagarajah200 Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited July 2022
    Deku006 said:
    Acer espire E5-553G doesn't support virtual machine or virtualization of any kind, please don't waste your time finding out that how to run Linux in your low running laptop
    All You Have To Do Is Press and Hold The Fn and Tab Key and Wait 3 Seconds and After 3 Seconds Is Up Press and Turn On The Computer And Smash The F2 Key Until You Reached The Bios Then You Notice That There Is a Advanced Section Use The Right Arrow Key To Scroll Over To The Advanced Tab and You Might See a Bunch Of Things Go To The Folder That CPU Settings and There Is an Option To Enable SVM That Is Acer Version To Enable Virtualization I Think But Enable SVM and After You Enable SVM Hit F10 To Save Changes and Exit and Boot Into Windows and Check That Everything Is Working. (Bios Version 1.31 Only I Think)