ES 15 533-P629 with stripped down Linpus and no Legacy Bios

Rk70534
Rk70534 Member Posts: 4 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

I bought this laptop which the store claimed had ALinux. Instead it has stripped down Linpus Linux Lite with about two commands - for how to read copyright claims, one of them from 1989.

The BIOS has no Legacy option, so the computer always refuses to load from USB (there was no internal optical drive) and goes to hard drive and loads Linpus.

I bought external optical drive for the Resource DVD Acer put in and which seems to have full Linpus. But no Legacy, so the laptop boots Linpus no matter that I put the optical drive and USB before hard-drive in booting order. So to buy an install DVD for Windows etc wouldn't work.

When I press F12 during booting, only hard-drive can be selected as booting option. Not USB and not the DVD.

'Update BIOS' I have been told, but in these circumstances, frankly how?

It seems that Acer has taken eco-friendly energy saving a bit too far to produce a laptop that can't be used at all.

If somebody can point a path forward, I would be grateful because I am at my wits end.

I have been using Acer computers for 25 years and have been mostly very satisfied. But this time its pure horror.

Answers

• Rk70534

Please help

To repeat

Acer's cut down non-GUI Linpus, no Legacy BIOS - please help

I bought a new Acer laptop, which the store claimed had ALinux in it. Instead it had cut down, non-graphical version of Linpus Linux Lite in it with reduced commands.

The BIOS has only UEFI, and because of this changing boot order and disabling Secure Boot etc has no effect and the computer won't take USB memory stick and DVD into account, but always just boots up the Linpus from the hard-drive. Pressing F12 during booting just offers the hard-drive.

Which means that any real OS can't be installed and thus the computer can't be used at all with my skills - I've tried for four days, reading a lot and watching videos on this Linpus puzzle by Acer and consider myself decent when it comes to computer tech.

Now what I would like to now is if there's any way I could access the memory stick or DVD from the cut-down Linpus? Exact commands, if possible.

And if not, is there any way to get the computer install from USB or DVD? I don't have access to other computer, as I bought this one as a quick replacement to my desktop, which was messed up by a Windows update.

'Load Rufus to USB' I have been advised, but no other computer to do that with. Can't update BIOS because of circumstances.

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

if you are trying to install windows (from 8 and up) and Linux, use x64 versions for EFI compatibility.

Rufus is the best solution to create a bootablet USB flash drive but you need another PC or you need to find an original windows DVD installation media.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Rk70534

The computer came with a 'Resource DVD' which, based on the accompanying sheet of paper, should contain the full version of this Limpus Linux Lite.

The computer can't be made to boot the DVD first, nor the bootable USB stick where I have moved the files on the DVD.

Based on this, why should it boot any other USB stick, Rufus and Windows 10 or otherwise?

Changing the booting order is ignored by the computer, that is the problem at heart.

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

would you mind trying using Rufus and an x64 linux Distro or not?

you need a windows based PC to use it and set it as on the main screen webpage

https://rufus.akeo.ie/?locale=en_US

if you don't want to try it...just contact your seller or acer support service...

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Rk70534

I would if I could. As my desktop is broken, I ordered bootable USB stick with Ubuntu installer through mail.

Last roll of the dice.

I have a 14 day return right for the laptop and 7 days have now gone. I will lose 20 % I paid if I return the laptop now that it has been 'used'...