E5-571G: Bios doesn't show/boot SDD in DVD-Bay-Caddy.

JMaier
JMaier Member Posts: 20

Tinkerer

edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Hi

I have installed a HDD-Caddy in the DVD-Bay.
Problem is that the Bios (latest, legacy) of my machine doesn't show me the SDD in the Caddy. I'have cloned the boot partition to the Caddy-SSD set it "active" and the original boot partition to "inactive".

Bios is still not showing Caddy-SSD in boot options and sets the original boot partition to "active" and boots from it.

Of course in Win10 the Caddy-SSD is fully operational.

Best Answer

• JMaier

Tinkerer

Answer ✓

Hi again,

It has worked now, at least from UEFI and with GPT. I've disabled "secure boot" and Win10 did install on the caddy-drive. And also all devices were installed.

So "secure boot" was the cause.

I have now a legacy Win10 on th first drive and a UEFI Win10 on the caddy drive. ;-)

Thanks for giving me the hint.

Answers

• JMaier

Tinkerer

I've tried to install Win10 on the Caddy-Drive and the weirdest thing happened:

Win10 did install but was not able to install several PCI related System-Devices incl. GPU.  It looks like the S-ATA port of the DVD-Drive is somewhat stripped down on the E5-571G.

:-( 

• Trukntigger
    Trukntigger Member Posts: 256 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon

You are somewhat correct, the sata port for DVD slot is not equal too the main sata slot.   Normally it defaults to more a sata 2 operation while main is sata 3. As for boot and legacy I would not gone that route but rather update the secure boot table by setting passwords to enable it. Next recommend boot drive in main sata slot and use DVD slot for storage drive use. It's roomier than you think and either drive should fit in caddy. This should correct several of the issues your encountering. 

• JMaier

Tinkerer

Thanks very much for your reply.
    The Sata port for the DVD-Player is SATA-III 6 Gbs at least HWINFO64 says so. That's why I bought a SATA-III capable Caddy. With the caddy plugged in it says "current interface speed: Gen3 6.0 Gbps" while DVD-Player showed "Gen1 1.5 Gbps".

How do I  "...update the secure boot table"?
    I have set a password and can deactivate/activate "secure mode" if I'm in UEFI mode but since now I have preferred installing Win10 in legacy mode, because I have a YUMI (mutliboot) thumb-drive with several tools/isos, which works only in legacy mode.

Thanks for one more hint!

• JMaier

Tinkerer

Answer ✓

Hi again,

It has worked now, at least from UEFI and with GPT. I've disabled "secure boot" and Win10 did install on the caddy-drive. And also all devices were installed.

So "secure boot" was the cause.

I have now a legacy Win10 on th first drive and a UEFI Win10 on the caddy drive. ;-)

Thanks for giving me the hint.

• Trukntigger
    Trukntigger Member Posts: 256 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon

LOL not quite what meant but if your happy good. So you know secure boot in simple terms works in hand with eufi too prevent unwanted malware taking over system from startup in the boot. If you enabled the sub passwords, (there's 2 layers) a menu opens up for boot table. In that you would then browse too the installed partition and add it as ok to use thus secure would allow boot from that partition. Legacy is old school that everyone was used too vs this eufi that actually was before legacy which has now become prevalent due to security concerns.