Aspire one 1-431

NathanielC
NathanielC Member Posts: 6 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

My computer has 2 GB of memory. It always has been slow compared to previous computers. Loading pages requires too much time except when I just restarted it. I always was able to have three browsers open which allowed me not sit and watch pages slowly loading. Some change transpired this month. Pages began terminating because of lack of memory when I had three browsers open. I started using only two browsers. They continue to terminate because of memory. TMobile provides 2 GB of fast data each month after my payment is received. I always was able to use computer for three days before 2 GB of fast data was used. All of it was used this month in on hour. Some programs are surreptitiously using my memory and data. What is instigating it? How can I shut down unnecessary programs? 

I have 29.12 GB of space on hard drive. I have less than 1 GB available despite owning computer for nine months and never saving videos or games. More than 90 percent of my hard drive is consumed by what manufacturers inserted on it, including Windows which constantly runs updates without my permission. Which files and programs can I delete which I do not need? 

Thank you, Nathaniel

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

About 2GB of memory, is maximum allowed size on your laptop, you can't do pretty much

about 2GB od data

Turn On metered connection on Windows 10, to save data traffic:

https://www.howtogeek.com/226722/how-when-and-why-to-set-a-connection-as-metered-on-windows-10/

to clean your SSD a little bit:

windows logo key
    type
    disk cleanup
    click on disk cleanup
    click on Clean up system files
    let it scan
    then tick the files you want to delete, it's safe to do it
    at the end press ok and let it clean the HDD for you

about Programs to uninstall, if you can take a screenshot of the installed Programs, we can try to help you

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • NathanielC

Hello. I did disk cleanup dozens of times. Only files which I added besides pictures and text pertain to browsers and protection against viruses and hacking. My computer behaved consistently for ten months in regard to speed and usage of data. Severe problem began this month. There must some file which Acer or Windows installed which suddenly devoured my memory and data. What could it be? I will have to purchase another computer. I never will be able to buy another computer of AcerProgram Files.jpg if problem can not be rectified.

• IronFly

please take a screenshot of programs and features:

windows logo key

type

programs

click on add or remove programs

i noticed you have AVG installed, honestly i would uninstall since it's proven to hit performance in a bad way, the stock windows antivirus is good enough.

• NathanielC

Hello. I downloaded AVG. I never could install it because my computer never had sufficient, free space. AVG is not culprit. I appreciate your apprising me about its affecting performance.

I feel confused by your other instruction. I could not find logo key. I typed it in search. It does not exist. I do not understand what "type" indicates. I can not find "programs". I found only "program files". I do not find place to "click on add or remove programs". I found where "uninstall" programs is located. Is that what you meant?

• IronFly

uninsntall programs list is ok.

• NathanielC

I must publish two screenshots because programs will not fit in one. My computer incessantly downloads updates without my permission. This is only computer which has not allowed me to prohibit updates. I want to have space to download updates which pertain to security. How can I halt all other updates? 

Programs.jpgPrograms 2.jpg

• IronFly

by the way, windows logo key is this:

https://www.geeksinphoenix.com/blog/post/2015/06/14/windows-logo-key-shortcuts-for-windows-10.aspx

and this is the list of apps you can uninstall:

the abAcer applications are about Acer cloud service, if you don't need it, uninstall

Amazon assistant...never used, since you can use amazon from your web browser

uninstall Avast and AVG too

ebay...is just a shortcut, so uninstall it

intel security assist, you don't need it

the blue dots are optionals, since i don't know if you use Office or the microsoft cloud service

about Mozilla and Opera...you really need 3 browsers on your laptop?

list.png

• NathanielC

Hello.

Your recommendations provided almost two GB of space. I appreciate it. I clicked link. I do not understand where I go to take screenshot of windows logo key.

I have multiple browsers because my computer is slow. My internet is always throttled except when my new month of service begins. I am provided two GB of fast data. It always lasted for more than two days, usually three days, until last month when it was devoured in one hour. That is why I requested assistance. I open articles on several browsers to avoid having to wait for them to slowly load. I intermittently incur on every browser inability to reach pages. I stop using that browser until I restart.

My new month of service begins at midnight. I will be able to specify whether performance of computer improved. T-Mobile apprised me last month that I was using significantly more data than I had ever used in two years. It performed test to verify that my hotspot is not defective. Its employee informed me after I closed browsers for minutes "Thanks! I did not see any data transmission at all on it, so that's good!"

Browser opens every time I restart. It always comments that it could not load. This is address: res://aaResources.dll/104. What is that? How can I stop it from loading?

Thank you.

• NathanielC

Hello. I did not notice your final comment on each reply until this visit. I am sorry. I would not have asked so many questions if I had discerned that you are not employee of Acer. I want you to know that I never noticed your final comment in case you can make it more visible when you assist other persons. Typing it in bold font or in another color would have ensured that I would have read it it every time. I appreciate your effort.