Aspire M5-481PT Won't Boot - Windows 10 Cumulative Update Problem?

Wrangellflyer
Wrangellflyer Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Hoping to find a little help before I start over.

I purchased my M5 in 2014, and it has worked like a champ.  I have been very happy with it.  It came with Windows 8.1, and I upgraded to Windows 10 over a year ago.  Although not specifically supported by Acer, it ran just fine.

Around 10 days ago, after applying a Windows 10 update, it failed to boot.  Automatic repair is not successful.  System restore doesn't work (understand that this is a problem, in general, for windows 10).  Reverting to a previous build doesn't work.  The only thing that allows me to get into the system is to "reset this PC."  However, after reverting to a good build of Windows 10, it then downloads the problematic cumulative update, and once it applies it, I'm back to square 1 and it won't boot.  I tried getting into the Acer eRecovery management application when the computer starts to revert to the original build, but am unable to do so.

My last resort is to nuke the hard drive and start over with a legit copy of windows 8 that I have on hand, but of course my preference is to just find a fix to the problem and keep Windows 10.  If that's not possible, I'd rather get a recovery disk for Windows 8.1 and restore it to factory settings, but I don't know how to do that.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  Either how to fix or how to get a recovery disk?

Thanks in advance!

Answers