Aspire ES1-512 will not boot Windows, cannot access UEFI or BIOS

JLeBlanc42
JLeBlanc42 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

After some issues with a new Build of Windows 10, I rolled back to the previous version and now it will not boot, nor will the BIOS or UEFI screens appear.  This dialog comes up:IMG_20170517_174711808.jpg

After choosing OK, I get the following screen:

IMG_20170517_175302796.jpg

The hard drive appears on the list but when I select it I get the same message.  I tried two different Windows bootable USB drives (Windows PE recovery drive created with Macrium Reflect, Windows installation disk) but they do not appear on the list.  I then tried an Ubuntu boot repair drive, it showed up on the list and I was able to boot.  The hard drive showed up and all of the data is intact.  Running linux boot-repair did not resolve the issue.

So the bottom line is that I cannot access BIOS or UEFI and it appears that Windows boot devices are not recognized, but it will recognize linux boot devices.  Any ideas?

Answers

• Trukntigger
    Trukntigger Member Posts: 256 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon

Several thoughts on this, the roll back corrupted the boot partition. Secure boot will not boot from a non authorized partition and the one that should is damaged. Recovery media is on a hidden partition and should not be damaged unless...in the process of the update the partition table was changed. USB boot to fix corrupted boot partition will undo itself if secure boot detects the change because it thinks the change is a virus type attack. This puts you in a loop. At this stage almost better off attempting to backup key data and then do a complete reinstall which should go easy seeing system already was registered with Microsoft. Using a 4gb flash drive you can download a system image from Microsoft and install anew no code needed due to your info stored on Microsoft site. Pull current drivers from Acer and should be good to go. Side note: only concern is the fact Microsoft on Win10 pushes updates and very hard too prevent the latest one from bringing same issue back that caused you to attempt rollback. 

As for the bios, try f2 at start up and should go right in. Never seen a hard drive corruption cause non access to bios settings unless said drive prevent system power up.

• JLeBlanc42

Thanks, I already tried that but it will not boot from any Windows bootable device.  I was able to install linux and run the PC so my next step is to see if I can get the linux bootloader to load Windows, at which point I should be able to restore the Macrium image.  Right now the Windows loader appears on the linux boot menu but it does nothing.

• Trukntigger
    Trukntigger Member Posts: 256 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon

So odd, won't boot from a windows USB install flash drive? As in nadda, nothing? All after a attempt to rollback the recent windows update? Out of curiosity how are you creating this media? The media must be in eufi format if on USB drive unless legacy mode is active in bios, this does not apply to say a USB external DVD rom of windows install. 

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

if you press Alt+F10 are you able to enter windows recovery?

have you tried to burn the windows 10 iso file using Rufus set as on the screenshot on the mainpage?

https://rufus.akeo.ie/?locale=en_US

select ISO image from the dropdown menu near "Create a bootable disk"
    click on the little icon on the right and browse to the windows 10 downloaded iso file
    as Partitions scheme select "GPT partition scheme for UEFI"
    as File system select "FAT32"

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • JLeBlanc42

I was able to resolve the situation.  First, I installed ubuntu then disabled Secure Boot.  This allowed me to boot from a Windows USB.

The Macrium rescue drive was able to restore the image from my backup but it would still not boot from the hard drive; my theory is that the bootloader was corrupt.  I reinstalled Windows, wiping all partitions, and it boots OK now.  My next step is to use Macrium to restore the C: partition only.