Aspire E11 keeps locking up, ran scan with Trend Micro House Call and no malware found.

deekah6
deekah6 Member Posts: 5 New User

Purchased new on 8/10.  Installed Windows 10 a couple weeks ago and it ran fine until the last couple days.  Lockups occuring more frequently, cursor freezes.  Scans with Malware Bytes and Trend Micro House Call have not found any malware.  Any suggestions beyond returning it to Target.  I have until 9/9 to return it for a full refund.

Best Answer

• deekah6
    Answer ✓

UPDATE, UPDATE:  Acer support fix did not work.  No suggestions from the Acer Community.  Did Factory Reset back to Windows 8.1 and reinstalled Windows 10-- still locked up.  Took the computer back to Target within their 30 day full refund period.  Target can send it back to Acer.  Thank you Target.

Answers

• deekah6

Went to Acer Support and was told go to Device Manager, Mice and Other Pointing Devices, HID-compliant mouse and right click, click uninstall then do a Restart to automatically install a new driver.  This did fix my problem--thank you Acer Support.

• deekah6

UPDATE:  New mouse driver worked for awhile but lockups and frozen cursor problem returned.  Tried disabling One Drive and that seems to have fixed the problem.  Theorizing that One Drive and my installed Western Digital MyBook Live network drive were creating a RAM logjam. The Western Digital network drive is set to automatically and continuously backup all connected computers- so don't need One Drive.

• deekah6
    Answer ✓

UPDATE, UPDATE:  Acer support fix did not work.  No suggestions from the Acer Community.  Did Factory Reset back to Windows 8.1 and reinstalled Windows 10-- still locked up.  Took the computer back to Target within their 30 day full refund period.  Target can send it back to Acer.  Thank you Target.

• tontytots
    tontytots Member Posts: 77 Troubleshooter

my own gizmo came with a unlocking code that i had to go online and redeem first.

as to your hefty problem, it may be that a factory reset option is required - maybe someone had the device before your own good self there maybe. Or else, the machine may be set as to not work outside a certain designated nation.

Else: take it back as being unsuitable for purpose

• Natey2
    Natey2 Member Posts: 23 New User

Did the whole PC (E11) lock up, or just the mouse/keyboard?

If it is just the mouse, it is a known problem (I had it too).

Go into BIOS Setings and change the touchpad setting from "Advanced" to "Basic".

Also, be aware that this is an underpowered machine.

If you have virus/malware scannners, Microsoft Family Safety, etc all running in the background, it will max out both cores at 100% for quite a while and the machine will not respond until the scanners yield.

I run CPU Usage gadgets that monitor each core, and I know what is going on when the machine looks like it is locked.

I think a Core i3 is about the minimum these days for a happy experience in Windows 10.

Forget about these 2GB RAM, 32GB eMMC, dual core celeron machines.