Acer E5 773 DVD drive removal to add new HDD

Kkaamm
Kkaamm Member Posts: 4 New User
edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
I have decided that I want to add a 2nd hard drive (well, SSD) to my Acer E5 773 laptop but, unlike my last laptop, which had separate hatchways for replacing such things as 1st and 2nd hard drive, RAM and battery, the E5 773 has no such easy access as the bottom casing is one complete piece which requires completely removing to gain access - something I am quite reluctant to do at the moment.

I thought I'd found the perfect solution via using a caddy that takes a hard drive and swaps out with the Acer's DVD drive (which can then be converted to USB). Great!

Every Youtube video showing how to remove the DVD drive from an Acer (various models but nothing specifically for the E5 773), show it to be a simple removal of a single central screw just beyond the depth of the DVD drive, whereupon it easily slides out.

However, try as I might, my DVD drive is stuck fast, even after applying far more force than I am comfortable using. I have also loosened the screws around it in case they are clamping it and even removed the next central screw in the unlikely event that it is held in by two screws over an inch apart. I do not know if it is stuck because it has never been removed and is catching on something or, like the rest of the access, it is not designed to be removed in this way.

So, before I do something to wreck my laptop, I am wondering if anyone can advise what I have to do - or is it really a case of having to completely remove the base? (and how might doing this affect whatever is connected to the battery EC reset pinhole?)

Thanks in advance.

Answers

• Trukntigger
    Trukntigger Member Posts: 256 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon

The DVD caddy is trapped in by 1 screw. It lines up with slimline sata connector and just presses in (plugs in). The battery reset hole is just lined up to a push button on motherboard, nothing connected there. The entire bottom comes off but must pull small cover(near front edge by keyboard off centered) and unplug speaker connector and under DVD edge there are 3 smaller screws which can not be removed with getting the DVD out or at least removing face plate which snaps on but not recommended.  End- the one screw pins DVD in. If correct one is removed it should come out.

• Kkaamm

Hi Mr. Fixit,

Thanks for your reply.

I see you confirm it is just the single screw holding the DVD drive in - like all the others, then. However, as I said, the DVD unit just won't budge. More investigation needed. I'll possibly have to go the whole hog and remove the base but, if as you say, the DVD drive needs to come out before gaining access to the three smaller screws, I'm in a stalemate situation. Thanks for the info re the battery reset hole etc.

regards

kkaamm

• Kkaamm

So, in the interest of completion, in case there are any others with this model that are wanting to go a similar route - I finally managed to coax the DVD drive out of the very tight housing - but, to clarify, unlike all other models I have seen dissembly videos of, I will clarify that there are definitely NOT three screws under the edge of the DVD casing as previously suggested; there are just a series of plastic lugs instead.

regards

kkaamm

• Trukntigger
    Trukntigger Member Posts: 256 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon

I have too ask, lugs for front face plate of DVD  or plastic tabs locking down bottom cover at edge under DVD face plate? 

• Kkaamm

Hi,

Sorry if that comment wasn't clear: lugs/tabs, call them what you wish, are there instead of the three screws you mentioned would be there to lock down the bottom cover once the DVD is removed.

regards

kkaamm

• cuvtixo
    cuvtixo Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited August 2020
    Kkaamm said:
     as the bottom casing is one complete piece which requires completely removing to gain access - something I am quite reluctant to do at the moment.
     Old thread, but I have a weird observation that may be relevant. I have the E5-774G 17.3" which I thought might be nearly identical except that it didn't come with an optical disk. But, it has the space inside and the bay, just covered up with a small piece of matching black plastic. But much of the lower half is one big removable plate, one screw. On the right, there is space for two RAM, and a M2 "stick" solid state disk drive. It did not come with a fast NVMe SSD disk, but one will fit (if you want to upgrade) and the drivers or whatever are in the CPU, so it will run faster than with the original SSD, but not as fast as motherboards specifically made for NVMe. On the left though, is a bay and connector for a regular old fashioned SATA laptop drive. I have a 1Tb drive, which the boot EFI (BIOS) reads as Disk 0. The M.2 is Drive 1, but I have only been able to boot windows from the original M.2 drive, the SATA 0 drive has to remain a data drive. I think you might also be able to change the boot order with linux. Anyways, if the 774G has everything to install an optical drive, perhaps with the bottom cover off the 773G might also have the SATA bay for a second disk. Worth trying if you can keep all the little black screws in the right order!