575G-57D4 with a 1TB hard drive. Want to add an M.2 SSD

PeteS1
PeteS1 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Looking to make new (added) m.2 drive "C" with OS and make the existing 1TB drive "D".

What is the best way to accomlish this?  ie, getting OS on new m.2 C drive.

Would it be possible to install new m.2 drive and temporarily unplug the 1TB drive and then use ALT F10 on startup to load clean windows 10?  

Or take a more traditional approach.

Create Windows install thumb drive

Disconnect 1TB drive

Install m.2

Load windows on M.2 from thumb

Once all working, re install the 1TB and format it?

One advantage would be lack of bloatware, but will all the drivers be found?    Will I be missing any critical Acer software?  

Open to suggestions.  Lots of great knowledge on this board.

Thanks,

Pete

Best Answer

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,086 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Hi,

If you want to keep Acer Softwares, you could try migrating the whole disk to SSD with MiniTool PW Free, if you don't mind loosing few unused Acer programs or SW, you can take the traditional approach, it will be clean, you don't need to worry about drivers as Windows installation will take care of that and you can still download from Acer support site, if you need any.

You can also download some programs like Acer Care Centre and Acer Quick Access from Acer site.

Capture.JPG

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,086 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Hi,

If you want to keep Acer Softwares, you could try migrating the whole disk to SSD with MiniTool PW Free, if you don't mind loosing few unused Acer programs or SW, you can take the traditional approach, it will be clean, you don't need to worry about drivers as Windows installation will take care of that and you can still download from Acer support site, if you need any.

You can also download some programs like Acer Care Centre and Acer Quick Access from Acer site.

Capture.JPG

• PeteS1
    PeteS1 Member Posts: 2 New User

Great,  Thanks for the response.  I dont have the machine yet, so I am unsure of how much bloatware there is.  

Based on your response, I am probably leaning to a clean install.  Seems like no downside to that and clean installs seem to run quicker.

Any other opinions out there?  Thanks Brummy