acer aspire e1-531, no bluetooth module - can I somehow install bluetooth ?

GavinPen
GavinPen Member Posts: 3 New User

http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/25/~/how-to-tell-if-your-computer-has-bluetooth
says:
'If your computer has Bluetooth installed, there will be a label on the bottom of the system with the word "Bluetooth" and the Bluetooth logo on it.
If the label is not present on the system or does not list Bluetooth, it is not equipped with a Bluetooth module.'
My acer aspire e1-531 doesn't have the bluetooth module installed.
Is there any way I can install bluetooth on it?
Can I use a bluetooth dongle?

Best Answer

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

If it didn't come with BT, it means the Wifi card in the laptop doesn't have BT. You would need to change the Wifi card to one that does. Yes, you can use a bluetooth dongle. 

• GavinPen

Thanks philetus. Can I use a bluetooth dongle without changing the wifi card?

• philetus
    Answer ✓

yes

• Ap2099
    Ap2099 Member Posts: 35 Troubleshooter

Hello,

If the computer did not come with Bluetooth, then you wont be abel to have one or get one. The Hardware of your computer wont support one either, unless you upgrade the Hardware in your computer that will be $$$$$$$.

When you buy your next computer make sure that it supports BT.

• GavinPen

Thanks Ap2099, but your answer seems to contradict philetus' remark - that I can use a bluetooth dongle without changing the wifi card.
    Could you point me at any info online which would clarify this?

• philetus

He doesn't know what he is talking about. A usb BT dongle is for a computer that did not come with BT or one that did, but it doesn't work.

The internal BT is combined in the Wifi card of a laptop and you can replace a non-BT Wifi card with a combined BT card.