VN7-593G-70R9 BIOS Questions

valdivladi
valdivladi Member Posts: 6 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Hi Acers Smiley Happy,
yesterday I bought this Aspire. 1st time of Acer laptop around me and I'm "little" bit confused.

Last time I've seen such ridiculous BIOS was more than 17-18 years ago in my Fujitsu-Siemens even then he has more functionality.

There's literally nothing in it. Even unable to find BOOT MODE menu. In some youtube clips, I saw it above Secure Boot menu, 

but there is no such thing in my laptop.

The supervisor pass was set. F12 Boot menu was enabled.
But whatever USB boot Win10 flash drive(made 5 with different GB 8,8,16,32,64 and all of them work) I use, no matter in which USB port, the Boot menu look always like this:
IMAG0136.jpg
Same story when tried to use USB CD/DVD-ROM.

When I get the laptop the dealer says to me that laptop was on free OS, thought to myself that was no big deal I have two unused Win10 Home/Pro Editions...

Surprise, surprise......
Unable to boot from flash and the only thing it loads is some Ubuntu distribution called Endless OS 3 - Ridiculous...
I buy it to able me and my youngsters play some good games when we are on travel and now I look like a total *****,

who spent all this money, just to have "something" that have functions as the android tablet of the little one.
Please Help!

Yours Valdi

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

windows version must be x64, use Rufus to create a bootable USB flash drive (ISO with just x64 version on it) and set Rufus as on the main page screen:
    https://rufus.akeo.ie/?locale=en_US

once done, plug the USB flash drive, press F12 at boot and then choose the USB flash drive Brand/model

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • valdivladi

Already done that,

as I say made 5 bootable flash drives and I made them with rufus used x64 version of windows10 

When pressing F12 the only drive that appears in choose menu is 1TB WD HDD that have this Ubuntu on it.
    No matter in which USB port bootable flash drive is inserted.

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder

If Ironfly's suggestion doesn't work, then here's what I think.

1. I would return the laptop if the supervisor password was already set when you bought it.  If you're the one that set the supervisor password, then it should give you the ability to use legacy or UEFI, but since I have never used a computer that came pre-installed with FreeDOS or LinpusLinux, I can't be certain about that.

2.  Most computers from Acer that come pre-installed with FreeDOS or Linpus are in legacy mode and use a different BIOS/UEFI than Windows computers.

3. There's hardly anyone on this forum that has used an Acer computer that came pre-installed with FreeDOS or Linpus (linux).

4.  Most of the Acer people that oversee this forum work for Acer America.  And I don't think they sell many FreeDOS or Linpus Linux computers in North, Central or South America.  I think they sell the vast majority of those FreeDOS/Linpus computers in the Asian market (china, india)...and maybe some in Europe.

5. If I were in your shoes, I would call Acer and ask them how you can install the latest "Windows" BIOS for your computer....or find out if it is even possible and put the computer in to UEFI mode.

6.  If you can't get Windows 10 installed in UEFI mode, I would return it for a refund.

7. Take my suggestions with a grain of salt as I have never used an Acer computer that came pre-installed with FreeDOS or Linpus.

• IronFly

if secure boot is enabled as on his screenshot...so UEFI must be enabled and a windows 10 bootable UEFI flash drive must be able to boot.

i see that on Boot  menu there are 2 HDD1 and this is pretty strange, and it's strange too that you can find only the 1TB HDD under F12...and your are talking about Ubuntu...

have you installed Ubuntu?

normally the OS must be installed on the NVMe SSD and this is the samsung listed.

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder

Since your BIOS screenshot does say secure boot is enabled, that does imply that it is not legacy mode.

It **might** be possible to install Windows 10 in legacy mode. And then update BIOS to the latest.  After you update BIOS to the latest, then wipe your drive and re-install Windows 10 in UEFI mode.

1. Set secure boot to disabled.

2. Install Windows 10 using media created with Microsofts media creation tool

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

3. Update BIOS

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

4. After you update the BIOS, make sure you set secure boot to enabled.

5. Re-install Windows with rufus UEFI media (see Ironfly's post). Since you're switching from legacy MBR to UEFI/GPT, you must delete all of your partitons first to wipe the drive before you reinstall Windows.  And then powercycle the computer.  Then re-install Windows (with rufus UEFI media).

• doughjohn
    doughjohn Member Posts: 353 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon

Hi

You have my sympathy, your BIOS screenshot looks identical to one I have.  They are a nightmare.

I tried to reinstall W10 and got an entry for Linpus that I didn't even know existed.  Disabled secure boot.

I was able to use Gparted to clear the HDD to such an extent that I got a screen that said no bootable device.  The bios could not cope with a blank HDD.

I have a DVD of W10 that I use for my HP laptop and eventually with that I managed a UEFI install.  It was not easy.

Most of the time, despite me de-selecting and disabling NetBoot it always came up with a screen looking for an IPv4 eprom to boot from.

Get a refund if you can, or gift the machine to your worst enemy.

• valdivladi

Thank you all for fast reaction.

I never installed anything on the laptop.

The supervisor password was set by me.

The problem is that USB ports do not recognize flash drives when is in BIOS mode. 

After couple of restarts and BIOS enters - finally in Security menu a line  

"Select an UEFI file as trusted for executing   [Enter]" appears. What a joy to see it.

The joy was short. After enter, the only HDD there was WD with Ubuntu OS 

I'm from Bulgaria(Eastern Europe) and here it's common to see on market laptops with pumped specs,

but with no Windows on it. The same story is with this one it has 16GB RAM instead of 8 and 250 SSD instead of none, but no Win OS such as competition on the market, mostly with Asus and Lenovo for the same price. 

• doughjohn
    doughjohn Member Posts: 353 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon

Hi

Perhaps you could try to create an area to install windows 10 alongside Ubuntu by using Gparted.

Also you could create a virtual Windows 10 with Oracle Virtual Box inside Ubuntu.

Rather crazy idea here...

If you can create, by shrinking the Ubuntu area, 2 separate partition areas, one of SIX gigabytes for a copy of Windows 10 extracted iso, and a larger area to install on, then it may be possible to access the setup file by some other method.

But the partitions need to made first.

• valdivladi

doughjohn wrote:

Hi

Perhaps you could try to create an area to install windows 10 alongside Ubuntu by using Gparted.

Also you could create a virtual Windows 10 with Oracle Virtual Box inside Ubuntu.

Rather crazy idea here...

If you can create, by shrinking the Ubuntu area, 2 separate partition areas, one of SIX gigabytes for a copy of Windows 10 extracted iso, and a larger area to install on, then it may be possible to access the setup file by some other method.

But the partitions need to made first.

Thank you,

but, yeah, crazy idea and I do not have so much free time to "play" with Ubuntu Smiley Happy 

• IronFly

if you bought it new...Acer never had a device with Ubuntu installed from factory, only Linpus.

• valdivladi

IronFly wrote:

if you bought it new...Acer never had a device with Ubuntu installed from factory, only Linpus.

This is not encouraging at all...Yes, I bought new from an Acer Synergy Gold Partner....

• IronFly

valdivladi wrote:

IronFly wrote:

This is not encouraging at all...Yes, I bought new from an Acer Synergy Gold Partner....

i strongly suggest you to contact them...i'm quite sure that Acer never installed Ubuntu on any device from factory.

• valdivladi

Game Over!

Return it to the dealer and get my refund. 

Thanks again for your responsiveness.
    I'm off from Acer for now.
    Cheers to you all. 

[BEER] Smiley Happy