Replacing the Keyboard on a E5-574-58JM

cubdukat
cubdukat Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

In November of last year, my Acer E5-574-58JM was the victim of an encounter between it and a full cup of Starbucks coffee. Although I unplugged the unit and turned it upside down immediately, both the keyboard and the touchpad were all but ruined. 

Up until recently, I was able to get the computer to turn on by pressing all of the keys on the keypad all at once (the power button itself won't respond). Now I am unable to get the computer to turn on even by doing this, so I have ordered a keyboard off of eBay. 

The big problem that I have seen is that there seems to be no way that I can see to get the keyboard out without removing the metal keyboard plate, which appears to have been sealed in. I have been unable to find any way to approach the problem from the top of the keyboard, since there do not appear to be any kind of screws. 

I'm sure that there is something that I'm missing. Has anybody had to replace the keyboard on a newer model E5-574 (Core i5 6th Gen), and if so, how do I do it?