Graphics problem Aspire e5-573g

jeet13
jeet13 Member Posts: 7 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Hi, I have an Aspire E5-573G with Intel i3-5005U @ 2.0GHz

RAM : 4GB

Graphics: Intel hd graphics 5500 and nVidia GeForce 920M

I was getting green dots all over the screen with Intel graphics driver so I tried switching to nVidia but for some reason could never do it as it kept saying "you are currently not using a display attached to nVidia GPU". So I reinstalled windows but still had the same problem.

I contacted the customer support and they told me to update my BIOS from V1.17 to V1.37. Now I am not able to boot into UEFI mode or to my factory settings as it says '"no bootable device" and in legacy, still my PC is using Microsoft Basic display Adapter instead of NVidia and as a result I cannot adjust screen brightness or play any games. As soon as I install intel graphics driver, screen goes blank and I can't do anything.

Note: In UEFI mode, my BIOS tells me GOP version: Intel something and in Legacy mode its: Nvidia GPU

Please help. Thanks in advance

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

i strongly suggest you to re-install windows 10 using UEFI setting on BIOS.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • jeet13
    Thanks but could you tell me how?
    As I explained I am not able to boot in UEFI mode since BIOS update. Everytime I try it says "No bootable device found". It only boots in Legacy mode.
  • IronFly

backup all your personal data!!!

set your BIOS to UEFI then

1. just follow these simple steps:
      download the iso file of microsoft windows 10 (x64) http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
      download Rufus, plug an USB flash drive and set Rufus as on the home page screen:
      https://rufus.akeo.ie/?locale=en_US
      click on the little disk icon on Rufus and point to the downloaded iso file
      let Rufus copy the installation files on USB flash drive
    2. plug the USB flash drive to your laptop, press F12 at next boot and choose the USB flash drive as bootable device (if F12 doesn't work, see if it auto-recognise the USB flash drive or press F2 to enter BIOS and enable F12 boot menu under BOOT tab)
    3. proceed with windows 10 installation
    4. once at language/keyboard selection, press shift+F10, a command prompt will open

type
    Diskpart
    list disk
    select disk x (x is the number of your HDD)
    clean
    convert GPT
    exit
    exit again to close command prompt

continue with windows 10 installation

skip the product key request (if any)
    enjoy your windows 10 installation

drivers will be update at first internet connection or you can check on Acer support service:

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/5977?b=1

• jeet13

I did everything you said, installed windows 10 in UEFI mode after cleaning my HDD and setting the GPT partition but the problem persists. As soon as I install Intel hd graphics driver 5500 my screen goes dark and then I have to boot into safe mode and rollback to Microsoft Basic Display Adapter.

I tried using the NVidia graphics driver but the Nvidia Control panel won't open. It gives an error prompt saying "You're currently not using a display attached to NVidia GPU".

Looks like something is wrong with my graphics card.

Thanks anyway.

• Trukntigger
    Trukntigger Member Posts: 256 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon

When I've seen this error its install related. Chipset driver must be installed first after windows is installed and reboot. In addition be sure correct chipset for CPU you have is used- aka skylake vs kabylake versions. This should sort out the rest when done. 

• IronFly

which Intel drivers version are you using?

i suggest you to check the latest from Intel software update, remember to uninstall the Intel GPU drivers before installing the new one:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html

chipset drivers under windows 10 are just labeling on Device manager.

• jeet13

I tried again, installed windows 10 without a network connection, installed manually the chipset driver first and then VGA driver after rebooting but to no avail. As soon as the Intel VGA driver installs, a dark screen starts flashing and windows prompt sound plays twice or thrice, continues the same way for like 2 minutes then it gives tdr video failure and reboots. After rebooting, same thing at the acer logo screen and ultimately it takes me to recovery options and then I have to boot into safe mode and rollback to Microsoft Basic Display Adapter.

Cannot change brightness, cannot adjust resolution, cannot play any games.

Looks like I'll have to continue this way only. I have lost all hope. :'(

Thanks for the help both of you, much appreciated.

• jeet13

@IronFly I have tried the version 10.xx posted at product support website as well as the version 20.xx

I have bad graphics chip I guess

• IronFly

if you are still under warranty, give Acer support service a call and have them check your laptop.

i don't have other ideas at the moment.

• jeet13

Could you tell me if it is possible to use Nvidia as analog display driver? Now I have Nvidia GeForce 920M installed automatically but my PC is still using Microsoft Basic Display adapter. And I am still not able to adjust brightness or resolution.

2017-05-27.png

• IronFly

check on nvidia panel:

manage 3d settings > global settings > Preferred graphics processor